Brand new Mama Hen!

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow

Congrats on your new chicks! After 6 weeks you can start to introduce healthy treats, these first few months the birds are developing their immune systems and growing organs, it's imperative that they eat nutrient dense chick starter to grow up healthy.

Enjoy your babies!
Welcome.
1714323423906.png

Hiya, Wendy, and welcome to BYC!! :frow

I concur with the rest of my friends that 6 weeks is the age for introducing new things to the chicks, but only very sparingly as they need to eat their crumbles to keep up their nutrients.

That said, I cheat sometimes with a very small amount of scrambled egg after they are around a month old, when I'm making that for treats for the rest of the chickens. I just chop it into finer bits. They already have grit if they've been outside, but if not, I give them some. Again, very sparingly though. 😊

Hi All-
I am so thankful to hear from all of you! I am loving this adventure! I appreciate all of your help. My babies are 5+ weeks old and my kind husband is building a coop for them. We are in Sullivan County, NY - 2 hours from NYC but in the country. I am wondering about a heater in the coop for them this time of year- the weather here is so variable. They really need to stretch their wings but when should I put them in the coop?
Thanks all-
Wendy aka WenHen

Back
Top Bottom