Breed and Gender please.

KendyF

Songster
5 Years
Jun 18, 2014
This chick was purchased as a Dark Brown Layer. I am thinking he won't be laying... What is your opinion? I think he might be Wellsummer or Copper Black Maran. He/She is a little over 2 months. He has feathered dark legs. What doesn't show in this lighting is that the copper feathering looks like a Wellsummer Hen. He behaves like a young roo..

Opinions appreciated.

Despite how she may behave, she is a Black Copper Maran Hen and you should get lots of nice chocolate eggs from her. You can see the contrast between the colors of the BCM roosters and hens in the following photo:
jesseejamesgang3.jpg

It's a black copper marans, but for 2 months old that's a lot of comb and wattles. I also think you have a rooster. You should start to see saddle feathers coming in soon near the base of the tail. Saddle feathers tend to start coming in around 3 to 4 months of age on most roosters.

Thank you everyone! :) Mixed response, but I appreciate the effort on poor pictures. :)

I think it's starting to look like a BCM roo. If my old eyes aren't deceiving me, I'm beginning to see what looks like a few brown feathers appearing in the back and wing area. I helps that I'm on my PC now (much better picture resolution), than when I looked at your first picture on my I-Pad.

I think it's starting to look like a BCM roo. If my old eyes aren't deceiving me, I'm beginning to see what looks like a few brown feathers appearing in the back and wing area. I helps that I'm on my PC now (much better picture resolution), than when I looked at your first picture on my I-Pad.
I think that is what he is as well. So, nice to have confirmation. The color is definitely leaking down his back. :)

Back
Top Bottom