Breed and/or Gender?

Eleos

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2024
5 weeks might be too soon to tell but I'm curious if this chick is a roo or hen. Also, not quite sure what breed it is given its speckled chest coloring. I ordered black Australorp, Welsummers and a variety of color egg layers which could be Marans, Americana's, Olive Eggers, Sapphire Olive Egger, Prairie Blue Egger, and Starlight Green Eggers. I have scoured the Internet looking for anything that looks like mine but I'm not finding much. I'm guessing it's a mutt which would be hard to identify exactly but really hoping the speckled chest doesn't mean it's a roo. 🤞🏼

Attachments

• PXL_20240507_215123165.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240507_215123165.MP.jpg
    684.5 KB · Views: 20
  • PXL_20240507_214834742.jpg
    PXL_20240507_214834742.jpg
    618.2 KB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20240427_211922998.jpg
    PXL_20240427_211922998.jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 11
It is a cockerel, and is likely to be a hatchery hybrid of some kind. It's not a speckled Sussex, because those have white legs, but there's a slim chance it could be a Swedish flower hen, depending on the source hatchery.

It is a cockerel, and is likely to be a hatchery hybrid of some kind. It's not a speckled Sussex, because those have white legs, but there's a slim chance it could be a Swedish flower hen, depending on the source hatchery.
I ordered from a place called Abendroth Hatchery in Waterloo, WI. Looking at pictures, it certainly seems to have the color traits as a Swedish Flower but the hatchery doesn't list that as a possible breed. And given how rare they seem to be I'm not sure I'd accidentally get one in my order. Can they be mixed and called something else? One of the options listed?
Although if it is a SF cockerel, that wouldn't be so bad as it seems they aren't aggressive to their owners. I like the idea of a rooster but we had a particularly nasty one not too long ago and I won't go through that again.

I ordered from a place called Abendroth Hatchery in Waterloo, WI. Looking at pictures, it certainly seems to have the color traits as a Swedish Flower but the hatchery doesn't list that as a possible breed. And given how rare they seem to be I'm not sure I'd accidentally get one in my order. Can they be mixed and called something else? One of the options listed?
Although if it is a SF cockerel, that wouldn't be so bad as it seems they aren't aggressive to their owners. I like the idea of a rooster but we had a particularly nasty one not too long ago and I won't go through that again.
I checked out their website. I think the only thing your chick could be is what they call Rainbows (Dixie). The site says that they have lots of colors and no two are alike. This is a hatchery hybrid. The only other birds they have with a similar color pattern are Millie Fleur bantams, but yours is definitely not one of those.

I checked out their website. I think the only thing your chick could be is what they call Rainbows (Dixie). The site says that they have lots of colors and no two are alike. This is a hatchery hybrid. The only other birds they have with a similar color pattern are Millie Fleur bantams, but yours is definitely not one of those.
Perhaps I'll try asking the hatchery what they think it could be. Thanks!

That's a great idea.
So they said it's most likely a Rainbow Dixie as you suggested but they're part of the assortment of brown egg layers and I ordered colored egg layers. Guess I got a stowaway! Looking online it would seem those roosters are pretty tame too so time will tell if he sticks around or gets re-homed.

Back
Top Bottom