Breeding Broilers

Ashleighevans15

Hatching
Mar 13, 2019
hi there!!
I have had chickens as egg producers for many, many years. My husband and I just purchased our first dozen of Cornish cross broilers eggs that are currently hatching as we speak! I’m very interested in attempting to breed my own. Many people in my town butcher regular egg layers and have said that the meat is very tough. I want good, tender meat. I love the idea that the Cornish cross will be ready for slaughter around 6-8weeks. Am I able to just breed from these eggs? If not, What are your suggestions for chickens for me to purchase for breeding? I do not my mind waiting closer to 10-12 weeks for slaughter, but really want tender juicy meat. I’m very new to this, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks so much!!

also if you can find them Malines would make a nice meat bird, the only lay about 150 eggs a year but are good eating. The hens are 7 to 8 pounds roosters up to 12 pounds. They are slow growers but nice birds, I have a few the only place I know of to get them is Greenfire Farms and there birds are expensive

Back
Top Bottom