BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

So far this year I have hatched out:

37 dc's (17 from 1 broody hatched clutch) at least 6 cockerels possibly up to 20

9 Bresse from hatching eggs Got 1 cockerel... He's a big, big boy. Bigger and heftier than DC's 2 weeks older.

5 Marans from hatching eggs Got 1 cockerel

15 OE's from hatching eggs Got 6 cockerels

8 RIR x Banty EE/ Serema Got 2 cockerels (from my daughters broody banty.)

4 Whole foods Hyline Got 2 cockerels and one I dropped a water bottle a day old so only one pullet
barnie.gif

8 Bourbon red turkeys No idea on the sexes

From the feed store I picked up:

5 WR Got 1 cockerel

5 BA Got 0 cockerels

2 Langshans got 0 cockerels

For my meat project next year, I want to cross the Bresse, WR, Marans on my DC hens for fun and to see if anything nicks. As well as breeding pure breeds of all.

The rest will go into the layer flock Or freezer.

I hope I find a breed I love and can commit to. I like a lot about the DC's but not in love with the breed as a whole.
What I want to end up with is a thriving flock that produces well and works hard. I don't really have a preference as to breed, but would like to have only one flock once I find the "right" birds. If the "right" birds turn out to be meat mutts, that okay too.

If I wanted to do a fall hatch of some of these crosses, how young of a male bird could I use over a mature hen and still expect decent results?
As soon as the hens will submit.

Well, I'm getting ready to relocate to western Colorado, so I put out the word that I had about 150 chickens, free for the taking. Most people wanted laying hens only, naturally. Then another lady called, wanted hens only, as many as I had. I mentioned that I also had Cornish X at butcher weight. Both ladies showed up and cleaned me out. I still have about 15 roosters, but the second lady will be back tonight or tomorrow for the rest of them. Right now, we are negotiating for my pens, she wants them too!
And here I thought I would have to be processing chickens all weekend and next week!
That is great news!

Will you be able to have chickens in Colorado?

Hmm I may have to put those hens in a celibacy pen until the young guns are a bit older. Maybe if they haven't had a "date" for a while.... lol
The cockerels are ready fairly early. What Aaron meant about submitting is what happens after the cockerel woos them. There is a courting ritual that they go through. He drops treats for them, dances and etc. It takes some time--sometimes a couple of weeks before the hens\pullets will accept him. When they do, they will squat for him and will stop squatting for you.

The eggs will be fertile about three days after they start mating. There is a whole other process you have to go through if they are in with a cock bird that you do not want chicks from though. You should separate them for more than 30 days if you want pure breeding. After you put them together, wait two more weeks before collecting eggs for hatching.

and of course there is a procedure for that too!

So much to learn!

Well, I'm getting ready to relocate to western Colorado, so I put out the word that I had about 150 chickens, free for the taking. Most people wanted laying hens only, naturally. Then another lady called, wanted hens only, as many as I had. I mentioned that I also had Cornish X at butcher weight. Both ladies showed up and cleaned me out. I still have about 15 roosters, but the second lady will be back tonight or tomorrow for the rest of them. Right now, we are negotiating for my pens, she wants them too!

And here I thought I would have to be processing chickens all weekend and next week!

That is great news!

Will you be able to have chickens in Colorado?

Well, the job in Colorado is a temporary (?) job, so I will be in a motel for the first week or two, then looking for something to rent. No chickens. Ultimately, I am buying 40 acres in northeast Arizona, where I'll settle when I retire (hopefully, in the next 4 to 5 years). Going to be pretty much on the road until then. The land I'm buying in Arizona is high altitude meadows and pinon pine, and I will definitely be running chickens, and probably a few cows and goats. Wife wants a donkey, too!
Really looking forward to rolling my toolbox into the shed for the last time!

If I didn't have that one BA hen still, I'd not even know I have chickens from the sound of them....she's louder than all of them put together. The WRs are a calm, docile and quiet breed, IME...not moochy and sweet like pet birds by any means, but they don't get too nervous about things and are easily handled when they aren't brooding a nest. Don't know what they would be like in a penned existence, but they are hard working out on range, so not much is heard from them except for when they lay an egg and even then most of them don't announce.

Beekissed, I believe you have bred the perfect chicken.
thumbsup.gif

Congratulations, I'll bet that's a relief. 150 chickens is a lot of chickens.

Well, the job in Colorado is a temporary (?) job, so I will be in a motel for the first week or two, then looking for something to rent. No chickens. Ultimately, I am buying 40 acres in northeast Arizona, where I'll settle when I retire (hopefully, in the next 4 to 5 years). Going to be pretty much on the road until then. The land I'm buying in Arizona is high altitude meadows and pinon pine, and I will definitely be running chickens, and probably a few cows and goats. Wife wants a donkey, too!
Really looking forward to rolling my toolbox into the shed for the last time!
It sounds like a great plan and and a nice place to retire to.

Back
Top Bottom