BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Processed 25, 14 week roos today... Took 2 hours and then we parted them all. I am so pleased with the quality of the birds. Processing really helps me understand what confirmation is most ideal. Perfect livers... gizzards just slightly fatty. New feeding regimen saved me money and birds were super healthy.

I still use cones, and only cut the arteries. The primary reason being to make sure they completely drain. They were always empty in less than 1 minute. Keeping the nervous system intact does not mean they are conscious, but it does keep the heart pumping to clear the blood.

WOW! You a whole lot faster at processing than I am. *Sigh* Sadly I guess that means I need more practice to improve my technique.

View attachment 701918 Matthew the Skunk
Breeding: 7/8 Dark Cornish & 1/8 CX
DOH: 10/01/2016

700187-c964db553e910c0b849f44d76f68e7e4.jpg
700281-69edb58d0719b45e1f36715dbd25ca63.jpg

update at 33 weeks:
698601-1c9f219df03d4afdcbf0da3fa6c1bae2.jpg

He is REALLY beautiful!

I come back and find a new chicken world. No matter...

I've decided to sell all my birds with the exception of several that will be used to cover an obligation and will not be further encumbered with any livestock. They are as confining as children seem to be, or perhaps more so.

What's more, I might sell this farm if I can get my price. I'm not sure that I wan't to live in the 'States' any longer.

I've decided to sell all my birds with the exception of several that will be used to cover an obligation and will not be further encumbered with any livestock. They are as confining as children seem to be, or perhaps more so.

What's more, I might sell this farm if I can get my price. I'm not sure that I wan't to live in the 'States' any longer.
:barnie
your knowledge and wisdom will be missed
everything has it's season, but you have worked so hard on your breeds.:hugs
Hopefully your brother or someone has your bloodlines so if in a few years you come full circle you can start up again.
Blessings in all your endeavors

Wow! Where are you headed? Greece?

You're right about the livestock holding you down. My husband has been talking about selling our business in the next couple years so we can retire and enjoy some of life before we get too old to do so. When he mentioned traveling the first thought that went through my mind was, "What about the chickens?" There's nobody around us I would trust to care for them. Hayden just graduated high school this past Thursday and plans on moving out within a year, and has ZERO interest in anything resembling farming or ranching. But....our best laid plans often don't turn out as expected. Who knows what will happen in the coming years.

We'll miss you if you leave and don't pop in now and again, but I understand wanting to leave.

I am so bummed. My last hatch was an almost total bust. 17 eggs, one hatched and of course it was a Light Sussex over Cuckoo Marans cross. Cute little Black pullet but not what I was looking for, sigh
The cabinet incubator plugs straight into the wall
No on/off switch. There were several bad storms while they were incubating. I think the power went out while we were sleeping or at work then came on again . We never noticed the outage. Live and try again
Now to find a home for a lone Pullet, sigh.
Karen

I am so bummed. My last hatch was an almost total bust. 17 eggs, one hatched and of course it was a Light Sussex over Cuckoo Marans cross. Cute little Black pullet but not what I was looking for, sigh
The cabinet incubator plugs straight into the wall
No on/off switch. There were several bad storms while they were incubating. I think the power went out while we were sleeping or at work then came on again . We never noticed the outage. Live and try again
Now to find a home for a lone Pullet, sigh.
Karen
Oh, man. What a drag. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom