BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Sadly we now live in an instant gratification age, and intensive breeding to SOP simply doesn't provide that. And, to be blunt, there's a whole lotta ignorance out there. On a few other threads I sometimes peak in on the main discussions are about painting their hen's toenails, dying their feathers hot pink, and other topics that leave me with mouth agape. One young woman who'd been holding a long discussion with me suddenly decided that I must be pure evil because 1) I actually butcher some of my birds for meat, and 2) I don't bury a dead chicken in a grave marked with at least a painted river rock if one dies unexpectedly while I'm away. Seriously....that was the basis of her judgement.

Last year I finally managed to acquire hatching eggs of my coveted breed, Silver Grey Dorkings. I can't even begin to tell you how excited I've been to start working to preserve and improve this breed and have read the SOP requirements for this bird so many times I can practically recite it verbatim. But a recent health issue gave me time to step out of my own head and actually listen to what other people are saying about the breed, and what I'm hearing is discouraging to the point where I wonder if my ambitions will be worth the effort. Committing to this kind of breeding program requires sacrifice, and as was stated above, when I die all of my efforts may simply die with me. That's beyond discouraging. These are noble breeds deserving of respect and preservation, and they're being ignored and rejected in favor of fanciful feathers and trend of the moment. It's just sad.

First off if you have a breed you love or always wanted so preserving and improving it should be a joy for you first rarely will other people get it. So breed your Silver Dorkings or Javas or Cornish to your best ability don't stress about other people. People who get it will always enjoy your birds too and appreciate your hard work.

Heritage breeds deserve a chance. I was very surprised one day to read Sultans had once been meat birds. No one has maintained that aspect of them, not to say it can't be done.

Breeding does go through fads that can change a breed forever example the modern idea that Vulture Hocks in most chicken breeds is bad was not true at another point in history... turns out because the VH was common in barn yard birds show folks bred them out of many breeds as a sign of common quality versus high quality and then the folklore associated with them flip flopped... at one point VH was suppose to indicate good egg production, now common knowledge says opposite... frankly I have seen no evidence to support either point of view, so some laying or dual purpose breeds once had them and now don't... no point in putting them back... though some breeds like Cochin will always have a problem with VH as the genetics involved encourage their appearance. I could however never learn all these odd tid bits about breeds if folks did not love their breeds, research them and share their experiences...

It is my hopes when the day comes that I can breed I can put what I have learned to work to produce quality healthy beautiful birds.

So just enjoy them... as every breed needs it's fans. :D

Sadly we now live in an instant gratification age, and intensive breeding to SOP simply doesn't provide that. And, to be blunt, there's a whole lotta ignorance out there. On a few other threads I sometimes peak in on the main discussions are about painting their hen's toenails, dying their feathers hot pink, and other topics that leave me with mouth agape. One young woman who'd been holding a long discussion with me suddenly decided that I must be pure evil because 1) I actually butcher some of my birds for meat, and 2) I don't bury a dead chicken in a grave marked with at least a painted river rock if one dies unexpectedly while I'm away. Seriously....that was the basis of her judgement.

Last year I finally managed to acquire hatching eggs of my coveted breed, Silver Grey Dorkings. I can't even begin to tell you how excited I've been to start working to preserve and improve this breed and have read the SOP requirements for this bird so many times I can practically recite it verbatim. But a recent health issue gave me time to step out of my own head and actually listen to what other people are saying about the breed, and what I'm hearing is discouraging to the point where I wonder if my ambitions will be worth the effort. Committing to this kind of breeding program requires sacrifice, and as was stated above, when I die all of my efforts may simply die with me. That's beyond discouraging. These are noble breeds deserving of respect and preservation, and they're being ignored and rejected in favor of fanciful feathers and trend of the moment. It's just sad.

:barnieI can't even get on most of the other threads any more, and haven't for several years. I just can't. I'm sick and tired of being told how evil I am that I eat my birds. People just have no idea where their food comes from anymore. There was a poll taken recently by a dairy related company that discovered that many people thought chocolate milk came from brown cows. And people on Facebook thought they were lying. But I know they weren't, people really are that ignorant about their world. It never fails that every time we go to the TX State Fair and tour the agriculture exhibits and barns, we hear people that are shocked that milk comes out of cows. And even more shocked that it comes from cow *boobs* - of course the word teat is a dirty word just like cock. Some farm folks in a discussion group said they have similar issues with questions from visitors when they took their various livestock to their state fairs where there were more *city* people than country folk there. These people can stick a tv dinner in the microwave but they can't even boil an egg, so they sure don't know where it comes from or that you don't need a rooster to have eggs. One girl not too long ago was trying to rehome a rooster, not because it was too noisy and she wasn't allowed to have one. It was because she couldn't exceed her limit on chickens per ordinance, and she didn't want to have chicks hatching. She didn't realize that all she had to do was pick up the eggs every day and not let a hen set on them, and she would not get chicks hatching, so she could keep her rooster. All I kept thinking was - did you not research and learn about chickens in the past few months while your chickens were growing into adulthood?

As much as I love dogs, cats, and horses and consider them pets, I am not so ignorant that I don't realize that there are people in other parts of the world who consider them food. Just yesterday I was reading a blog post by some guy that had gotten an 1880s cookbook and was horrified by the recipes in it - recipes that use a lot more of an animal than what most of us do now. I still can't bring myself to peel and use chicken feet but at least I don't go around doling out death threats to people that eat things that I don't. Our country....the loss of knowledge and skill is happening at a rapid pace and I hate it that people think that it is a good thing to get rid of all the *oldfashioned useless stuff*.

You know, if you like those Dorkings, then raise them for yourself if they give you pleasure. I'm about convinced that there is no way that I could ever breed a Java to meet today's SOP and have a judge think they were good enough. And I think that may be why they stopped being popular after the early 1900s when they were changing their SOP. But you know, I like my birds. They give me more than enough eggs even though they don't lay every day. They give me meat. They eat bugs, they eat kitchen scraps. They give me manure for the garden. They do what I wanted them to do. Despite the fact that many APA folks think it is stupid to try to work with the breed. I want them because I like them. And if I can preserve them for a little while, then I'm good with that. Would I love to have other people working on them so they are around after I'm dead - yeah, I don't care if anybody remembers me, but I do feel like I should be making things better for whoever comes after me and they should have Javas alive in the future in case someone wants them. But I'll be dead and won't know if Javas went extinct, so I gotta be happy with what I'm doing. You may not make a ton of progress with the Dorkings you have to work with as far as meeting SOP, but if they make you happy, then go for it.

Sorry that I am coming in on and old post but. One time I was had chicken for lunch, and my friend was like, "You know, I am surprised you aren't a vegetarian, because you love animals so much." And that's right, I love animals dearly. But I know that God put animals on this planet for us to eat, so I do. I don't have a problem with butchering them at all. And yesterday a different friend tried to gross me out, by pulling the lining off of a pork rib, I was like "So?"

Last edited:
bnjrob I so agree with you on how ignorant people have become about food and not just animals... seriously people complain about animal agriculture practices impact on the environment without knowing many plant based practices can be worse or just as bad... or how you need both to run a well balanced nutrient high producing organic veggie farm, yes you need animal poo not just mulch compost. Sigh.

I cringe when Vegetarians or Vegan want farm animals as they usually are city people who know nothing about said animal biology an humanize the animals to the point of doing more harm than good. my God birth control experimental drugs for hens are now bring touted as away to end cruelty of the hens natural egg laying by animal rights people who know nothing at all about chickens other then they get eaten by people and lay eggs so that egg laying is bad and will kill the hen human propaganda birth control ideas are applied to chickens and they babble about the hens being gmos when they are not. God forbid someone wants a goat herd... no, no, no, if you can't cull it don't breed it... that includes pet animals. People are so darn ignorant, irresponsible and hypocritically judgmental with their good intentions.

BTW I am evil to some folks for having eaten their favored "pet" species or favorite wild critter... but they totally munch down on my preferred pets with benefits daily and can't seem to understand there is no difference. I mean you can be all sorts of picky crazy in this society but in others you might get one meal a day and if you don't eat it well you will not last long. Also we kill millions of pets, why in the heck is it the end of the world if someone chooses to eat that species. It's a food taboo more than anything and hypocritical.

:barnieI can't even get on most of the other threads any more, and haven't for several years. I just can't. I'm sick and tired of being told how evil I am that I eat my birds. People just have no idea where their food comes from anymore. There was a poll taken recently by a dairy related company that discovered that many people thought chocolate milk came from brown cows. And people on Facebook thought they were lying. But I know they weren't, people really are that ignorant about their world. It never fails that every time we go to the TX State Fair and tour the agriculture exhibits and barns, we hear people that are shocked that milk comes out of cows. And even more shocked that it comes from cow *boobs* - of course the word teat is a dirty word just like cock. Some farm folks in a discussion group said they have similar issues with questions from visitors when they took their various livestock to their state fairs where there were more *city* people than country folk there. These people can stick a tv dinner in the microwave but they can't even boil an egg, so they sure don't know where it comes from or that you don't need a rooster to have eggs. One girl not too long ago was trying to rehome a rooster, not because it was too noisy and she wasn't allowed to have one. It was because she couldn't exceed her limit on chickens per ordinance, and she didn't want to have chicks hatching. She didn't realize that all she had to do was pick up the eggs every day and not let a hen set on them, and she would not get chicks hatching, so she could keep her rooster. All I kept thinking was - did you not research and learn about chickens in the past few months while your chickens were growing into adulthood?

As much as I love dogs, cats, and horses and consider them pets, I am not so ignorant that I don't realize that there are people in other parts of the world who consider them food. Just yesterday I was reading a blog post by some guy that had gotten an 1880s cookbook and was horrified by the recipes in it - recipes that use a lot more of an animal than what most of us do now. I still can't bring myself to peel and use chicken feet but at least I don't go around doling out death threats to people that eat things that I don't. Our country....the loss of knowledge and skill is happening at a rapid pace and I hate it that people think that it is a good thing to get rid of all the *oldfashioned useless stuff*.

You know, if you like those Dorkings, then raise them for yourself if they give you pleasure. I'm about convinced that there is no way that I could ever breed a Java to meet today's SOP and have a judge think they were good enough. And I think that may be why they stopped being popular after the early 1900s when they were changing their SOP. But you know, I like my birds. They give me more than enough eggs even though they don't lay every day. They give me meat. They eat bugs, they eat kitchen scraps. They give me manure for the garden. They do what I wanted them to do. Despite the fact that many APA folks think it is stupid to try to work with the breed. I want them because I like them. And if I can preserve them for a little while, then I'm good with that. Would I love to have other people working on them so they are around after I'm dead - yeah, I don't care if anybody remembers me, but I do feel like I should be making things better for whoever comes after me and they should have Javas alive in the future in case someone wants them. But I'll be dead and won't know if Javas went extinct, so I gotta be happy with what I'm doing. You may not make a ton of progress with the Dorkings you have to work with as far as meeting SOP, but if they make you happy, then go for it.

One year on the 4th of July we went up on the Parkway to watch some local fireworks from the side of the road, we pulled over next to a field with some big black and white percheron cross horses... Some other people showed up and had a heated debate on if the animals in the field were horses or cows... Team cow was going strictly on the black and white spots.... I thought about joining in, but I didn't want to risk my brain cells...

One year on the 4th of July we went up on the Parkway to watch some local fireworks from the side of the road, we pulled over next to a field with some big black and white percheron cross horses... Some other people showed up and had a heated debate on if the animals in the field were horses or cows... Team cow was going strictly on the black and white spots.... I thought about joining in, but I didn't want to risk my brain cells...
Seriously, you have to look at more detail than just the color. That's crazy!

:lol:

Back
Top Bottom