Breeding Half Siblings?

Dottie the Chicken

Lover of Jesus, cows, and chickens
May 8, 2020
Wisconsin
Is breeding half siblings okay? Aka, same dad but different moms? I know you can breed daughters back to their fathers and sons back to their mothers, so would half siblings bred to half siblings be similar to line breeding? Thanks!!

Is breeding half siblings okay? Aka, same dad but different moms? I know you can breed daughters back to their fathers and sons back to their mothers, so would half siblings bred to half siblings be similar to line breeding? Thanks!!
I don’t think that would be considered line breeding. Line breeding is when you have the grandparent or something higher in the lines breed to the baby. Are you planning on selling the chicks?

I don’t think that would be considered line breeding. Line breeding is when you have the grandparent or something higher in the lines breed to the baby. Are you planning on selling the chicks?
Selling? Not currently. But isn't line breeding also son to mother and daughter to father?

It's "okay" as in nothing bad is going to happen.

But what are you hoping to achieve? If you're wanting to keep certain traits coming through, it likely wouldn't be terribly effective. You're going to be mixing up quite a mishmash of genes from the separate mothers.

Line breeding is going back up the line - so if you mated, say, your male to his mother, or your female to her father, that would be line breeding.

It's "okay" as in nothing bad is going to happen.

But what are you hoping to achieve? If you're wanting to keep certain traits coming through, it likely wouldn't be terribly effective. You're going to be mixing up quite a mishmash of genes from the separate mothers.

Line breeding is going back up the line - so if you mated, say, your male to his mother, or your female to her father, that would be line breeding.
Well, I already have the half sibling brother in with the half sibling EE sisters, so hatching those eggs would be easier than separating them with their dad and hatching those eggs.

1645565600623.png

1645565619988.png

1645565675310.png

Back
Top Bottom