Breeding Records

Rosto

Songster
12 Years
Dec 15, 2010
Alabama
What do you use to keep breeding records? Is there a book I can purchase to record my crosses. Do you make your own? When I bred dogs. I kept a computer spreadsheet with each dog's faults and strengths. I recorded the outcomes and made a binder with each dog's 7 generation pedigree, historical champions, hunting style, etc. Show wins and hunt wins were recorded. Color photos of each dog helped too. I carefully made crosses and kept detailed pedigrees. Everything was planned. With chickens you don't have pedigrees at the onset. I want to make one. Keep careful records of each bird's faults and work to correct them in each successive breeding. I think it will be important to detail each bird's traits recessive, sex linked, and dominant. So I can plan ways to improve my lines.

The spreadsheet like you did with your dogs sounds like a good idea.

I keep my cattle bloodlines in a book, with a page for each heifer or cow. It’s a bit of a business to keep up with, but it works. And I keep stuff like bull sale pamphlets etc in a file.

Air table is a mobile app I’ve seen used for animal records (or anything, really) and you can link between them. Kind of like a spreadsheet, but with the individual animal profiles. It takes some work but it could be useful. I think you can put it on the computer too.

Back
Top Bottom