Cloverr39

Crowing
Jan 27, 2022
Latvia
I'm sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place. Feel free to move it if it is.

I have a black silkie rooster. I'm getting him 3 black hens this March. If I'm correct that should result in black chicks. Lately I've been thinking of getting him like 2 hens of another color so hatching chicks would be more fun. I was thinking blue, but I don't think it's possible to get blue silkies in my country, because I've never even seen a blue silkie in any chicken groups or any for sale ever. Most people in my country who have silkies have blacks, whites, cuckoo, buffs or a mix between those.

Would breeding my black rooster to a white hen result in some paint chicks? What options do I have? I want something that will end up being one of the actual silkie colors and not random mixes.

If I want to buy white hens do I need to ask things like what their parents look like and stuff like that? Because I've heard you need a dominant white to get paint chicks.
How would I know if hens I'm buying are dominant whites and not recessive whites?

Example pictures help a lot.

Thank you for any info! :)

Attachments

• 20211121_110519.jpg
    20211121_110519.jpg
    608.4 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
If you want paints, def use dominant whites. You can usually tell the difference because dominant whites skin are more light, while recessive whites have the normal black skin.

I hope this was helpful enough!

I'm sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place. Feel free to move it if it is.

I have a black silkie rooster. I'm getting him 3 black hens this March. If I'm correct that should result in black chicks. Lately I've been thinking of getting him like 2 hens of another color so hatching chicks would be more fun. I was thinking blue, but I don't think it's possible to get blue silkies in my country, because I've never even seen a blue silkie in any chicken groups or any for sale ever. Most people in my country who have silkies have blacks, whites, cuckoo, buffs or a mix between those.

Would breeding my black rooster to a white hen result in some paint chicks? What options do I have? I want something that will end up being one of the actual silkie colors and not random mixes.

If I want to buy white hens do I need to ask things like what their parents look like and stuff like that? Because I've heard you need a dominant white to get paint chicks.
How would I know if hens I'm buying are dominant whites and not recessive whites?

Thank you for any info! :)
You're Silkie rooster is leaking silver, so I'm not sure if that'll effect you getting paints. I have a black Silkie rooster that leaks gold, which I haven't bred to get paints yet. But I did get black chicks at one point, but sold them.

Personally I'd get chicks, so that way you'd know you're getting dominant whites. Chicks that are dominant white have a reddish orange blush, while recessive white has a silvery blush.

If you want paints, def use dominant whites. You can usually tell the difference because dominant whites skin are more light, while recessive whites have the normal black skin.

I hope this was helpful enough!
I haven't seen a difference with dominant white, & recessive white skin color. I have 1 recessive white rooster, & his skin color is the exact same shade as the dominant whites.

You're Silkie rooster is leaking silver, so I'm not sure if that'll effect you getting paints. I have a black Silkie rooster that leaks gold, which I haven't bred to get paints yet.
I also have 3 other roosters that leak gold and silver, but they have very small or no crests, their combs are too big and waddles aren't the right color. Fluffy (rooster in the original picture) has the least amount of leakage, biggest crest and a smaller comb than the rest. That's why I chose to ceep and in the future breed Fluffy and not one of these 3.

Pictures of my 3 other roosters:

Attachments

• 20211218_171431.jpg
    20211218_171431.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 16
  • 20211219_134438.jpg
    20211219_134438.jpg
    529.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20211219_134341.jpg
    20211219_134341.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 15
I also have 3 other roosters that leak gold and silver, but they have very small or no crests, their combs are too big and waddles aren't the right color. Fluffy (rooster in the original picture) has the least amount of leakage, biggest crest and a smaller comb than the rest. That's why I chose to ceep and in the future breed Fluffy and not one of these 3.

Pictures of my 3 other roosters:
All are pretty regardless. The last one appears to be Silver Columbian, or possible Leaky Breasted Silver Partridge.

So you want Smaller Comb, Full Crest, & Darker Skin? If you can get hens with similar, or same features, they'll keep those traits.

All are pretty regardless. The last one appears to be Silver Columbian, or possible Leaky Breasted Silver Partridge.

So you want Smaller Comb, Full Crest, & Darker Skin? If you can get hens with similar, or same features, they'll keep those traits.
I definitely agree that they're all pretty in their own way, but they're not exactly what I want to breed. I'll try to get hens with those features. I'm hoping the black hens I'll get will have most of them.

I still have a question tho. What other color hens could I breed with my black rooster? Maybe not exactly to get paint, but anything else that wouldn't be a random mix of colors.

I definitely agree that they're all pretty in their own way, but they're not exactly what I want to breed. I'll try to get hens with those features. I'm hoping the black hens I'll get will have most of them.

I still have a question tho. What other color hens could I breed with my black rooster? Maybe not exactly to get paint, but anything else that wouldn't be a random mix of colors.
Black is dominant over most colors, but may still leak.
Any color you choose. Breeding Black to Buff gets interesting results. But not sure if the silkie's partridge based Buff will show the same since I've only bred Wheaten based Buff to black(Not Silkies).

Personally I'd get chicks, so that way you'd know you're getting dominant whites. Chicks that are dominant white have a reddish orange blush, while recessive white has a silvery blush.
For example in this listing is it possible to tell the difference between dominants and recessives? It would be nice if I had a reference to look at when/if I buy chicks.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220218-103446_SSCOM.jpg
    Screenshot_20220218-103446_SSCOM.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot_20220218-103443_SSCOM.jpg
    Screenshot_20220218-103443_SSCOM.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 12
  • Screenshot_20220218-103441_SSCOM.jpg
    Screenshot_20220218-103441_SSCOM.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 13
For example in this listing is it possible to tell the difference between dominants and recessives? It would be nice if I had a reference to look at when/if I buy chicks.
Those appear to be dominant white.

Here's dominant white Silkie chick. Reddish blush may vary.
20200530_153738.jpg
Recessive White from the internet.
Screenshot_20220206-214351_Chrome.jpg

Back
Top Bottom