Breeding the home flock

DrakeMaiden

Overrun with Drakes
12 Years
Jun 8, 2007
Kitsap County, WA
I wasn't sure where to put this, so I'm just going to put it in other poultry for now, merely because I don't raise chickens.

What sort of rules are there when you decide who gets to mate with who, so as to avoid in-breeding? I have heard that you can breed daughter to father, but are there any other guidelines? What about breeding half-siblings that share a father?

i think it goes like this...

Father-doughter
Mother-son and so on...and off course non related chickens...

You can do line breeding, but I personally would avoid any lateral breeding with any siblings. Some do it and chances are you won't see a problem till a few generations down. I like to get an unrelated rooster and use him as the main man for all the rooster work.

Genetic diversity will give you the most viable offspring.

breeding siblings is usually only used when developing a new variety to cement in the things that you need, or bring out the elusive double recessive...

Well, you should definitely avoid Father-Son breedings

yuckyuck.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

This breeding was used by Cockers through the years and produces near perfect birds.
1- Hen to Cock
2- Hen to son ... Cock to daughter
3- Hen to grandson... Cock to granddaughter
4- Hen to G-granson... Cock to G-granddaughter

Now in the fifth generation you breed a 15/16 hen to a 15/16 cock. Then, choosing the best Hens and Cocks you start all over again or choosing 3 to 5 of the best Hens you can begin the clan mating system.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom