Breeding true breeding Moss Eggers

TexasBlues

Songster
Oct 30, 2023
Central Texas
I have one egg labeled moss egger out of a dozen hatching eggs I purchased from a local farm. I find the egg to have an extraordinary color that is almost golden brown.
It’s the 2nd one from the bottom on the right.
What do you reckon went into making this egg color? Is it an olive egger back-crossed to a marans?
If you could make one from scratch… what breeds would you use?

Attachments

• IMG_3576.jpeg
    IMG_3576.jpeg
    341.7 KB · Views: 27
BYC has to be the biggest loneliest forum I’ve been on. I feel like the only person that enjoys talking about mixed colored eggs and chicken breeding.

I'd also assume black copper Marans went into it, but I'm still learning and new to all these things (and the one bird I had that might've laid green eggs turned out to be a rooster so now I've got to wait for his daughters and hope he passes it down 😭 ).
Anyway it'd be super cool to see the bird that comes out of that egg!
I do find chicken breeding super interesting, but I haven't got any fancy egg layers yet so all I can do is admire other people's birds n eggs.

I'd also assume black copper Marans went into it, but I'm still learning and new to all these things (and the one bird I had that might've laid green eggs turned out to be a rooster so now I've got to wait for his daughters and hope he passes it down 😭 ).
Anyway it'd be super cool to see the bird that comes out of that egg!
I do find chicken breeding super interesting, but I haven't got any fancy egg layers yet so all I can do is admire other people's birds n eggs.
I’ll keep you updated when they hatch. Tuesday is day 21. The rooster used in those eggs was a fibro olive egger with blue egg genes.
From what I’ve read the moss eggers are usually an olive egger backcrossed to a marans. Or possibly olive egger f2-f3 etc.
I have black copper marans hatching in this clutch so I’ll have the genetics available to make more of these golden looking moss eggers.

I'll b following your thread to see how they come out for sure! I've never seen an egg that color personally, they're quite pretty
😄

I'll b following your thread to see how they come out for sure! I've never seen an egg that color personally, they're quite pretty
😄
Here’s a good photo of it next to a dark marans egg. I like how smooth and glossy both of them are.
I candled them all last night and all 25 look good. The olives were the hardest to candle.
IMG_3641.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom