Breeds for tiny flocks?

Moose0

Hatching
May 10, 2024
Hello all,
Recently my township has changed its ordinance, and we can now have chickens!
I'm looking for suggestions on what breeds of chickens are good layers for a small flock as I am limited to three per our new ordinance, as well as what of those breeds is known to be a bit quieter (if any 😂) as my ordinance has a nuisance clause that if my neighbors complain of noise I have to remove my flock.

I have not designed my coop yet so space requirements are not an issue as I wish to tailor my set up to the needs of the type of chickens I get.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I'm looking for suggestions on what breeds of chickens are good layers for a small flock as I am limited to three per our new ordinance,
Hi there and welcome to BYC! :frow

My first small flock of 3 was a barred Rock, a Rhode Island Red, and an Easter Egger.. they were a lovely group and it was fun to collect the variety of egg colors as well as having a variety of eye candy (different colored hens) decorating the yard. Of those 3 my top suggestion is going to be barred Rock.. but availability may play into your choices as well.

One thing you don't mention is location and weather extremes which may influence breed suggestions.

Here is one list with some comparisons in the following link..

http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

Last edited:

My first small flock of 3 was a barred Rock, a Rhode Island Red, and an Easter Egger.. they were a lovely group and it was fun to collect the variety of egg colors as well as having a variety of eye candy (different colored hens) decorating the yard. Of those 3 my top suggestion is going to be barred Rock.. but availability may play into your choices as well.

One thing you don't mention is location and weather extremes which may influence breed suggestions.

Here is one list with some comparisons..

I'm going to agree with Barred rocks. English Orpingtons are really nice too. As well as standard Orpingtons. I also quite enjoy my bearded silkies and bantam Cochins but I'm not sure that I would use them for egg production. You may also want to look into Salmon Faverolles, Australorps, and welsummers.

Here is one list with some comparisons..

Hello!

For location it's MO,
Weather extremes 100 to 115°F for almost two full months during the summer, and about 1 month of 5 to -15° during the winter.

I have experience hatching quail so my plan is along the lines of ordering eggs probably one or two dozen -expecting a 50% hatch rate, and 50% to be roosters- id pick out the three hens I like when they are fully feathered and ready to leave the brooder and selling the rest to friend of mine (for cheap just to cover food and bedding cost while they were brooding) she has a farm house outside town and is Looking to get back into chickens after catastrophic loss from a flood last year.

Noise level depends on individual temperment, but you can't go wrong with an easter egger IMO. Buff orpingtons are also nice friendly chickens who should give you plenty of eggs

Noise level depends on individual temperment, but you can't go wrong with an easter egger IMO. Buff orpingtons are also nice friendly chickens who should give you plenty of eggs
Agree on the Orpingtons (really any color Orpington though) BUT my Easter eggers are the loudest cackling bunch there ever was! Lol 😆

My flock of easter eggers are quiet, you wouldn't know they were there unless someone laid an egg and even then there's a good chance you still wouldn't as they only sang like half the time. Jury is still out on the chicks, but it does come down to individual temperment

Honestly about any hens from mainstream chicken breeds would probably be ok.
We are in KY, probably somewhat similar weather to MO. I prefer standard clean legged varieties.
Orpingtons, Plymouth Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, New Hampshire, Australorp are all dependable breeds with sone of those breeds having several color varieties.
I also like the crossbred Amber Stars too, they are the the same breeds but reverse cross of the Red Stars/ISA Browns.

Back
Top Bottom