Breeds I've Never Heard Of!

andischickenfarm

Songster
12 Years
Jun 19, 2007
N.E. Oklahoma
I thought that maybe some of you all would have information or even pictures of some of these chicken breeds. I searched for dark egg layers and it brought up these breeds:

Welsummers
Barnevelders
Penedesencas

Thanks,
Andi
D.gif

I have some welsummer chicks and I know that as adults, they're beautiful. I don't know a whole lot about barnevelders but penedesencas were only introduced to the states about 6 years ago and are pretty rare. I guess there's a hatchery in FL that has them but you need to get on a waiting list. Otherwise you can find them on eggbid. Marans are another dark brown layer and the cuckcoo maran looks a lot like a barred rock and is considered rare but gaining popularity. I also have one of thses as do quite a few ppl on the forum if you have anymore questions regarding those. I'm sure someone will post on this thread about marans. A great place for pics and more info is ever so prominant a link in this forum- www.feathersite.com You might also try googling penedesencas, I found an irish site that had some really great pics of the different varieties.

I have 1 penedesenca chick and three dozen eggs that will hopefully hatch this weekend. I also have 20 chicks coming in the mail from Florida (Valentine Hatchery). They should arrive in another month or so. The breed was first imported from Catalonia (a nation within Spain) only 6 years ago so they are pretty rare. The feathersite has a few pics of them. Penedesencas come in four varieties: Crele, Black, Wheaten and Partridge. They have an interesting "carnation" comb which starts out as a single comb and ends in a sort of crown shape. The breed lays beautiful dark reddish-brown eggs which are quite unique. If every thing works out I should have eggs available next spring. There is very little information available about the breed in English (most info is in Spanish, Catalan, or German) but there is one good site made by a breeder in Ireland.

http://www.freewebs.com/penedesenca/

I have/had all three of the breeds. The Barnevelders are absolutely georgeous, but their eggs are not that dark. I understand that is not unusual for Barnies in the US.

I hope to have all 4 varieties but I'm not sure if that will happen. I don't have any adult birds yet, only 1 chick, 3 dozen eggs and 20 chicks ordered. With all of these I should end up with a few trios to work with for next season. I've had some pretty bad luck with hatches this year but I have a batch due to hatch this weekend. I'll keep you posted!

Where are you from in Oklahoma? I have Welsummers and have had Cuckoo Marans. I sold all of my adults but I have some chicks. Cuckoo Marans are around Oklahoma if you look hard enough. Rare but not impossible to find.
There are also quite a few people here with the black Penedesencas.
Gar Creek Poultry in Cromwell has Marans and Penedesencas. Also Landoftobepoultry in Salina, Ok. has some Marans as well.
You can go to Feathersite.com, the Maran's web site or try [email protected]. There are also Welsummer and a Dark Egg Layers yahoo groups.
When I get new Marans I am buying from a breeder that has proven dark eggs. The ones I had laid a six and sometimes a rare seven on the egg chart.
Bev Davis in Florida is a renowned breeder of different species of the Marans. Vhatchery in Florida has Penedesencas.
Monty

Quote:

Back
Top Bottom