shayshaylaraye

Hatching
Apr 18, 2019
I started out with a Little Giant incubator, now I am looking to upgrade. I've heard that Brinsea incubators are some of the best, however, I keep reading reviews where some people think these two incubators are great, and others that say they don't work right. If I am spending $400-$600 I really would like my expensive incubator to do it's job, and do it well. One person talked about how their water reservoirs kept overflowing but that they still couldn't get the humidity high enough. Also, for anyone that may have one of these incubators, do they come with the screen/mat to keep chicks from hatching into the reservoir?

I am new at incubating, so any tips would be super beneficial for me.

I've also heard great things about the Brinsea 20 octagon incubator, but I guess they don't make that model anymore?

I would love to hear about any other Brinsea incubator that does a great job too!

Hi sweetheart i love my Brinsea incubators but i have two octagons and a mini advanced not any of the new modles. Im sorry they Did stop making the octagons. You might still be able to find one in classified ads or on amazon. I went n read the other thread you posted on about them thise people sounded rather disappointed in their money. If they still sold the Octo 40 though i could say That was qorth the 700$ it org sold for, again :love its wonderful. Those people do know how to make great incubators but i cant personally attest to the new line. I hope my bump nets someone elses experience for you!

I love my Brinsea incubators! I started with the Maxi II Advance, but after upgrading to the Ovation 56 Advance, I rarely use it. I do love the ovation and haven't had any issues with it. The only thing that I don't like is the fact that you have to open it to add water... but that may be different on the EX. I ordered mine on Amazon and accidentally ordered the Advance model instead of the EX, but my eggs were already on the way so I just decided to keep it, and I like it just the same even without the humidity regulating features.

I've never had any issues with any of my (4) Brinsea incubators, but I have read about others that have run into occasional issues.

If you are going to be hatching your own or local eggs It won't be an issue but many of the Brinsea incubator turners roll the eggs on their sides. I have been told (and read many posts on here as well) that if you are going to be trying to hatch eggs that have been shipped to you, that the eggs need to be incubated with the large end facing up in a turner. To be honest, after using a home made cardboard box incubator, I purchased a Hova Bator Genesis. It is the more advanced circulated air and digital one. The egg turner is an upright type. My hatch rates for my own eggs are 100% and the egg turner holds 40 hen eggs. Trying shipped eggs now. Humidity and temps are always spot on. I did look at some of the Brinsea ones but the number of negative ratings was concerning.

Last edited:
You can always add additional containers of water if needed for more humidity just if using at hatch time make sure they have screened covers or chicks will drown. My Ovation 56 holds temp to 1(10th of a degree according to onboard display. And according to my Gqf probe thermometer its dead on accurate. The built in water reservoirs are in the floor on each end and are screened. Lifting the lid for 5 seconds to refill the water isn’t worth talking about. It came with one hatch mat. Its open faced cardboard. You can lay eggs on their side or vertically in the sleeve style egg holders. It will hold 56 hen eggs vertically but less if on their sides. It heats fairly quickly verses a styrofoam incubator. In about an hour you can set eggs. Humidity settles in about 3 hours.

I don't have the newer brinsea incubators but I do have a brinsea octagon eco 20 and it's been a really good incubator for the most part. I live in a humid area and I still have to put paper towels along the bottom dipping into the two water wells to increase my humidity enough for lockdown. I've had issues with the fans going out twice now in my brinsea (it's around 3 years old), brinsea sells replacement parts so they are easy to replace but if they go out during incubation you could be in trouble (since I know mine has this issue I like to have a spare fan on hand).

Early this spring I got a Nurture Right 360 and although I really like having the brinsea octagon for shipped eggs since it holds them upright I think the NR360 is a much better value for the price, and although both incubators have pros and cons I like the pros of the NR360 a little more personally. You can get great hatches in either though! :D

I have the Brinseas Ovaeasy 100 advanced and for the most part I love it! The digital temp is 0.4 C wrong, and I have to open the door to add water (don't have the humidity pump). But it regulates temp really well with the door opening and closing. It was costly, but it's made my incubator-life much easier!

Back
Top Bottom