Broddy hen

Ravenwolf75

Chirping
Jun 12, 2018
My hen has started her second batch of eggs, her first clutch all died before hatching, (she made a poor nesting choice outside the coop) and this is her first time trying again, she is the lowest on the pecking order and my other hens like to remind her of it, this nest is in the coop with the other hens. How worried should I be about them chasing her off the nest or hurting her? She's also very grumpy and gets all upset if I get too close. Is there any way to help her relax around me?
She also has only 7 eggs.

I assume she's had a break since the first clutch?
I personally block off the eggbox my broody wants to use, especially if she is lowest in the pecking order. The other hens can be quite mean, and can lay eggs in there which you do NOT want. Eggs days apart are not good, but you might already know that. You can of course mark the eggs and remove others, but I prefer not to have hens stomping over the eggs.

The other hens will want to lay eggs in there, and either your broody will be pecked, or she will get off.
I have a hen that now has a baby that was chased out. I noticed her out and shooed the other hen out. Obviously if you do this you need to make sure the other hens have a place to lay.
I find the hens don't seem to relax very much until the chicks are hatched. But it also depends on your hen, and your relationship with her.
My broody did peck me (gently) while she was setting, but now she is in chick mode, she lets me hold the chick as much as I like. She realizes I am the food giver and won't hurt the chick, I suppose.

Is there any way to help her relax around me?
When I have a broody I slowly 'make friends' with her.
Frequent visits, gentle touches, sometimes a treat bribe(tiny bit of scratch grains), until she calms when I fuss with her.
Think it's important to be able to check underneath her regularly, especially if she's setting with the flock as you'll need to remove any freshly laid eggs from the nest(and clearly mark the 7 you gave her).

I prefer to have broodies incubate separated by a wire wall in the coop, but I have set it up so that's pretty easy where a temporary wire wall creates a 4x6' area in coop and even has a separate run attached.

When I have a broody I slowly 'make friends' with her.
Frequent visits, gentle touches, sometimes a treat bribe(tiny bit of scratch grains), until she calms when I fuss with her.
Think it's important to be able to check underneath her regularly, especially if she's setting with the flock as you'll need to remove any freshly laid eggs from the nest(and clearly mark the 7 you gave her).

I prefer to have broodies incubate separated by a wire wall in the coop, but I have set it up so that's pretty easy where a temporary wire wall creates a 4x6' area in coop and even has a separate run attached.

Thank you! I didnt get to pick her nest spot she wanted it right there. And it doesn't seem like the others are messing with her, even at night. I dont see any peck marks or anything like that. She isn't happy with anyone coming near though. At least she lets me pet her. I'll use your advice and see how it goes.

I have in the same group, one hen that screams and raises her hackles if I get within 3 feet of her and can/will draw blood if I'm within range, one hen that makes a scene but reluctantly let's me close and let's me handle her and or the eggs and one that just doesn't care about anything so long as she is on top if her nest. She has two turkey points in her own with her and a bunch of young bantams that ran on top of her yesterat and she didn't give a care.

You could try giving her food and water closer to her nest so she doesn't have to leave for as long to eat and drink. She might eat and drink more too. My hens eat, drink and poo more if they have food within reach or a few feet away since they know leaving their nest allows birds and mice to take their eggs

Back
Top Bottom