Broiler cold tolerance

Cardi B

In the Brooder
Mar 27, 2022
Hi Guys -
I live in the Midwest. My Cornish cross broilers are now 2 weeks old. They are quickly outgrowing the brooders that I have them in my basement and I gotta get them outside. Temps are 70's this week with a low of mid 60's at night. They have a Salatin style coop with plastic on 3 sides that will be removed once it gets warmer.

I have been hardening them off while in my basement and they no longer have heaters. My basement temps is about 68 degrees.

I saw a graph somewhere that showed what age they need to be outside, but can no longer find that graph. Anyone have that handy?

Is it safe to put them outside yet? Should I wait another week? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
Beth

In my experience, you could put 2wk olds (ie 14+days) out without a heat source in those temps. I would just watch them closely for a day or two to make sure they arent huddling the whole day and that they continue to eat and drink normally. I wouldn't put them out on a day that is exceptionally windy or if it's supposed to rain at all. I know you said salatin style tractor so this is probably not an issue but make sure they can be in a shaded area of the tractor. They will not appreciate direct hot sun for extended periods of time.

Mine are 8 weeks now, staring to cull some yesterday, whats the coldest they can go outside?, I'm in the high desert and our night are already getting into the high 30s.
They don't have coop, just a pen.

Back
Top Bottom