Broken Beak

itzkeeks

Hatching
Sep 2, 2022
9936D5C6-4555-441E-8D6D-015F3A8A9060.jpeg

I walked into my backyard to find one of my hens fighting with a small mouse. From what I saw, my hen was winning and the mouse disappeared.

But looking closer I saw blood in my hens mouth and assumed it wasn’t hers. But as you can see in the picture she seemed to have broke her beak while fighting the little mouse and is reluctant to eat anything now.

I’m thinking of separating her for a while so the other hens don’t peck at her beak but I don’t know what to do about her lack of feeding.

I’ve only had my chickens for the past 2 years and only one has ever broke its beak. It was the tip so it didn’t bother her too much. But this time I’m not sure what to do.

Any help would be appreciated! Thank you!

Hello! Clean it with saline, and then feed her wet mash in a deep cup so she doesn't hit the bottom of the cup. Keep an eye on it, it should scab over and heal on its own nicely.

Hello! Clean it with saline, and then feed her wet mash in a deep cup so she doesn't hit the bottom of the cup. Keep an eye on it, it should scab over and heal on its own nicely.
Thank you so much!

She is also sitting down with her head tucked in her feathers. Is this normal because she is in pain?

Yes definitely! My little guy was in shock after he was injured. Can you have sweetened water available to her? It will help with shock. Poor baby
Yes I definitely can! Thank you so much for your help, I really appreciate it!

Ouch!
She's going to be sore for a few days. The tip will probably fall off like a fingernail will. The quick underneath should harden up in a few days, but until then, just provide her with some wet mash.
Wipe off the blood and put her with her flock. Do observe to see if she's getting picked at, but I've never had birds pick at another when they've had a broken beak.

I would not try to repair it.

Back
Top Bottom