Broken hearted

nicnac2112

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 31, 2013
I just got 4 baby muscovy's yesterday..this morning i also picked up a couple of just 2 year old female muscovy's...i have to baby ducklings in an old rabbit run cage out by the chicken pen and the two new females in a plastic snow fence pen...he headed into the city to get a small shed to convert into a duck coop....I was so nervous to leave the @ females in the plastic pen while we where gone...one of our neighbors lets his dog run the country side...we came home and the plastic pen was not touched..the baby's in the cage however had not been to lucky...the dog jumped all over the rabbit run till he broke through it and managed to get 3 of my baby's....i only have one alive.....i am so mad and i have already spoken to them about their dog causing issues with our own dogs in our yard...I know it was not my dogs for they where locked up in the house while we were gone and their dog was sneaking out while we were pulling in...the blood was still warm on all three of them...i'm so upset i just want to shoot that dog...ugh!!!! now I have to be the bigger person and very nicely talk to them and state he needs to be tied or else.....thinking the paint ball gun for starters although my heart says 22 is what he deserves....the other neighbor has just lost one of his ducks the day before and assumes its the same dog but cant prove it....why is it people just figure that they have the right to let their dog run the country side...we do have a by-law in my area take states they must keep their dog tied at all times......just ranting people ...sorry

I just got 4 baby muscovy's yesterday..this morning i also picked up a couple of just 2 year old female muscovy's...i have to baby ducklings in an old rabbit run cage out by the chicken pen and the two new females in a plastic snow fence pen...he headed into the city to get a small shed to convert into a duck coop....I was so nervous to leave the @ females in the plastic pen while we where gone...one of our neighbors lets his dog run the country side...we came home and the plastic pen was not touched..the baby's in the cage however had not been to lucky...the dog jumped all over the rabbit run till he broke through it and managed to get 3 of my baby's....i only have one alive.....i am so mad and i have already spoken to them about their dog causing issues with our own dogs in our yard...I know it was not my dogs for they where locked up in the house while we were gone and their dog was sneaking out while we were pulling in...the blood was still warm on all three of them...i'm so upset i just want to shoot that dog...ugh!!!! now I have to be the bigger person and very nicely talk to them and state he needs to be tied or else.....thinking the paint ball gun for starters although my heart says 22 is what he deserves....the other neighbor has just lost one of his ducks the day before and assumes its the same dog but cant prove it....why is it people just figure that they have the right to let their dog run the country side...we do have a by-law in my area take states they must keep their dog tied at all times......just ranting people ...sorry
I'm so sorry so very heart breaking, Yes you have every right to protect your flocks and if after you talk to them you see the dog on your property then pull out the 22 you have the right. Also let you animal control know what just happened they may also talk to your neighbor.
I'd call animal control right away.

A dog is a dog, but it's the owner's responsibility to keep the dog contained and within his or her own yard. Shooting a dog is unacceptable in my eyes. Plenty of alternatives to keep your own pets safe, just as you would from wild animal predators.

A dog is a dog, but it's the owner's responsibility to keep the dog contained and within his or her own yard. Shooting a dog is unacceptable in my eyes. Plenty of alternatives to keep your own pets safe, just as you would from wild animal predators.
I understand what your saying, I'd hate to have to kill a dog or any animal for that matter, but if after you talk to someone about their dog/dogs and they still let it run loose well It's time to take care of things yourself. Even the best setups can be breeched if a pred is determined. Ask Marty who lost most of her geese and ducks last year to 2 dogs and had a very secure area.

Last edited:
You know what confuses me? You guys all talk about these by laws and it seems that if yours says you cannot keep a little harmless chicken or duck and you do anyway the powers to be seem to stop at nothing to make you get rid of them.

Have a vicious dog that is killing livestock and trespassing in neighbours property then nothing ever gets done. Really does not make the slightest sense.

Sorry you became the victim of yet another irresponsible dog owner.

Last edited:
I spoke with the owner of the dog...basically I pre warned him that I may come across a bit rude but I have calmed down a great deal already...I stated that I am insisting on the dog being tied up or placed in his kennel and not roaming around....told him about the baby ducklings I just got yesterday and what he had done....between his dog teasing mine through the windows of my home...peeing on my deck, planters and patio furniture this has put me over the top...i can not and will not deal with this anymore....I'm not ashamed to say that I have been crying all afternoon over this and even though I thought I was in control of my emotions and NOPE....i was stand there in this man's yard crying all over again.....I do not feel week, rather passionate!

He did state how sorry he was and that he will be taken care of the dog and that they have a kennel already set up and he will be going on it from now on and offered money to replace the ducklings......time will tell better than anything else.....

Contact animal control so that you are on record as to this incident. Hopefully your neighbor will uphold his end, but so very frequently they do not. You want to be on record if you need to take more harsh action. In most areas shooting a dog with a paintball gun is "animal cruelty", but killing a dog that is killing your animals is legal and completely justified - even more than that, it is a owner's responsibility.

So sorry for your loss. As ML says, I would call the animal control officer. That would send a message to the dog's owner that you mean business even though you have spoken with him. You can also load a shotgun shell up with rock salt - it smarts pretty good and the dog might get the message if pelted a few times.

Good luck and
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom