Brooder Heat Reccomendations?

Disintegration

Songster
Nov 5, 2020
Northwest Arkansas
Anyone have any recommendations for brooder heat? I only need something that would work for 5 chicks in a cardboard brooder. I don't really plan on getting any more chicks after these five. Ideally I'd want a plate heater, but those are way too expensive. I considered using one of the DIY heaters with heating pads, but the only heating pads we have shut off automatically after an hour. Everything I find is either too expensive, dangerous, or doesn't get hot enough.

Ideally I'd want a plate heater, but those are way too expensive.
Not bad really $50 from Amazon.. rent a coop or another brand.. the savings in electricity paid for itself in ONE brood compared to the 250w bulb.. the chicks are happier, and you can sell it when your done if you like! I think tractor supply might have something similar.

Other bulbs.. the ceramic infrared ones are also pricey and burn out at the most inconvenient of times. Again, the plate paid for itself over and over.

Heating pads.. the one recommended with the shut off bypass ran me about $35, IIRC.. Then I almost killed the chick when they got wrapped inside a saran wrap bubble which I had ignorantly substituted for the suggested "press n seal"..

Get the plate if your able.. Chicks love it, it's easy to use, *reduced* chances of fire!

No one ever really "plans" for chicken math.. if they did.. they'd go bigger than what they THINK! :oops:

The plate is worth EVERY red cent.. no matter which brand.. IMO.

Happy chick rearing! :wee

Not bad really $50 from Amazon.. rent a coop or another brand.. the savings in electricity paid for itself in ONE brood compared to the 250w bulb.. the chicks are happier, and you can sell it when your done if you like! I think tractor supply might have something similar.

Other bulbs.. the ceramic infrared ones are also pricey and burn out at the most inconvenient of times. Again, the plate paid for itself over and over.

Heating pads.. the one recommended with the shut off bypass ran me about $35, IIRC.. Then I almost killed the chick when they got wrapped inside a saran wrap bubble which I had ignorantly substituted for the suggested "press n seal"..

Get the plate if your able.. Chicks love it, it's easy to use, *reduced* chances of fire!

No one ever really "plans" for chicken math.. if they did.. they'd go bigger than what they THINK! :oops:

The plate is worth EVERY red cent.. no matter which brand.. IMO.

Happy chick rearing! :wee
I'll look into the ones on Amazon. If it saves on electricity, buying a more expensive brooder plate might be a better idea.

Last edited:
You can get a heating pad with no auto shut off from Amazon for $12.97. Beats everything else in price, and doesn't come with the risks of a lamp. It's incredibly easy to rig a DIY brooder plate with a heating pad. All you need is a flat surface to strap it to, and something for legs. That's what I did last year, and loved it. I'm doing it again this year. I have a couple of friends who also loved the idea and I made one for each of them as well.

This is my 3rd time using heat lamps. So far I've had no problems. I think the key is use multiple ways to secure it. I may have too many ways to make sure it doesn't go into the brooder as I have a wire lid on the brooder as the last safety measure so it would never fall into the brooder.

My problem is that I just can't get enough heat into my garage brooder. I've got a space heater blowing heat into it and a light and the temp is 76 at the thermometer I have under the bedding under the light. (Chicks aren't in it while I have the space heater blowing heat in, I'm assuming that would be bad.)

Back
Top Bottom