SlyPsychic

In the Brooder
Nov 19, 2022
I am wondering what y’all would recommend for brooding chicks artificially in the winter? What kind of brooder should I buy/make? I can put it in the coop so it’s draft-free, but I also want to make sure they are warm enough without a fire hazard. We got electricity there, so that’s not an issue, I just want to know what I should do to keep them warm.

This is my setup, but this is my first time brooding outdoors, so it’s very much “in process.” My chicks are in a metal dog crate covered with hardware cloth. Inside the dog crate there is a cardboard box that contains a brooder plate- keeping it enclosed on 4 sides but open on top. The side & corner of the crate that faces the pop door is covered with press n seal for drafts.

If it gets below freezing in the coop, I have a heated small animal waterer that I can attach to the crate. This all worked beautifully during the previous week when it was only low in the 50s, but now that’s it dropping down to 30s/40s Im having issues with the brooder plate.

Attachments

• 9E9CDFF7-DB8D-4BF8-9600-2B239BCBC8AB.jpeg
    9E9CDFF7-DB8D-4BF8-9600-2B239BCBC8AB.jpeg
    794.7 KB · Views: 18
This is my setup, but this is my first time brooding outdoors, so it’s very much “in process.” My chicks are in a metal dog crate covered with hardware cloth. Inside the dog crate there is a cardboard box that contains a brooder plate- keeping it enclosed on 4 sides but open on top. The side & corner of the crate that faces the pop door is covered with press n seal for drafts.

If it gets below freezing in the coop, I have a heated small animal waterer that I can attach to the crate. This all worked beautifully during the previous week when it was only low in the 50s, but now that’s it dropping down to 30s/40s Im having issues with the brooder plate.
Thermodynamics say that heat rises. Maybe close the boxtop and cut out a small opening all the way at the bottom of one side? That would make it a wool hen. You could also get a couple cheap seat cushions. Put one under and one on top for insulation.

Yes, a lot of brooder plates have warnings not for use below 50 degrees. They are not the best outdoor winter option.
Yes, I’ve heard that about some of them, but don’t want to do the red lamp this go-round. This particular brooder plate doesn’t have a temp rating, but some folks on here have used theirs successfully in the 20s, so I thought I’d give it a try.

Thermodynamics say that heat rises. Maybe close the boxtop and cut out a small opening all the way at the bottom of one side? That would make it a wool hen. You could also get a couple cheap seat cushions. Put one under and one on top for insulation.
I thought about that, but the manufacturers instructions for my brooder plate say not to cover it or place anything on top of it. The box is almost identical to the size of the plate, so I was hoping it would still help to trap most of the heat under the plate. But I also don’t know if thats even a thing with radiant heat. The concept still kind of puzzles me.

I thought about that, but the manufacturers instructions for my brooder plate say not to cover it or place anything on top of it. The box is almost identical to the size of the plate, so I was hoping it would still help to trap most of the heat under the plate. But I also don’t know if thats even a thing with radiant heat. The concept still kind of puzzles me.
Maybe a fire risk if there’s something close to the top side of the heater?? As far as the thermodynamics it’s about how warm air and cool air behaves. Cool air is heavier than warm air, so cool air sinks and warm air rises. Attics get hot and basements stay cool.

Maybe a fire risk if there’s something close to the top side of the heater?? As far as the thermodynamics it’s about how warm air and cool air behaves. Cool air is heavier than warm air, so cool air sinks and warm air rises. Attics get hot and basements stay cool.
I’ve gone down the rabbit hole that is radiant heating, haha. I guess I’m thinking about the efficiency of radiant heat, but it still makes sense that it would rise.

The brooder plate doesn’t get hot on top, and it doesn’t appear to have openings on top, so I don’t really know why they say not to cover it. I got some new plates - different brand. So I’ll see if these can hold up to the cooler air in the coop. If not, I’ll try covering them, but still leave small space for air to escape.

I’ve gone down the rabbit hole that is radiant heating, haha. I guess I’m thinking about the efficiency of radiant heat, but it still makes sense that it would rise.

The brooder plate doesn’t get hot on top, and it doesn’t appear to have openings on top, so I don’t really know why they say not to cover it. I got some new plates - different brand. So I’ll see if these can hold up to the cooler air in the coop. If not, I’ll try covering them, but still leave small space for air to escape.
Brooder plates do not work by warming ambient air around them even though they do warm area under them a little bit. They work just like a mother hen warms her chicks by touching her warm body the same as the chicks touching the brooder plate. But the brooder plate doesn't have feathers to insulate and hold heat in or to regulate its temps that is why they have recommendations on best ambient air working temps. Hope this helps you understand how they work.

Back
Top Bottom