BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Pics
Quote:
Judy yes the lids have a plastic strip at the back that I can remove and set the lids so that there is ventilation on both the front and back, but I will probably get some hardware cloth and screen the top eventually or I can just cover half with the lid and screen the other part with the heat lamp on it. Both the 55's have a divider in the middle for the tops.

i dont have pictures just yet, but we took an old entertainment center(pretty big) and laid it down and took out all the shelves. Now its just one big, giant square.

big_smile.png
WOW that would be awsome!

Here's my brooder; quite effective and easy to clean and maintain!

photo-1.jpg

I changed the mesh wire lid of this brooder. Mesh wire on top is now actually two pieces. One piece has a cutout for the heat lamp to sit in (suspending the heatlamp higher makes it not warm enough). To secure the heatlamp portion, I drilled holes and wire tied the mesh to the top so it NEVER moves. The other piece I wire-tied to the the heatlamp piece, and its a cheap hinge. I lock it so the cats can't get in with a piece of wire or a bread twist tie.

Quote:
Judy yes the lids have a plastic strip at the back that I can remove and set the lids so that there is ventilation on both the front and back, but I will probably get some hardware cloth and screen the top eventually or I can just cover half with the lid and screen the other part with the heat lamp on it. Both the 55's have a divider in the middle for the tops.

Chuck you can go to the aquarium store and they have wire screens for the top of most aquariums...that is what we use for my daughter's hermit crabs and turtles too!

Quote:

Chuck you can go to the aquarium store and they have wire screens for the top of most aquariums...that is what we use for my daughter's hermit crabs and turtles too!

I can get hardware cloth 1/4 inch holes for about $10.00 a roll for 24" x 50' at my hardware store. I can get 1" x 2" x 94" for about $1.00 each to make the frames. They want too much money for the screen tops for a 55 gallon tank.

Ok, I have a huge plastic bin for new babies, but when they get older, and like to hop and try to fly, I came up with this -

I bought the playpen last summer at a yard sale, and just stored it in the tack barn til I needed it. Today I got some 1/2 inch hardware cloth and made a Lid for it - worked out nicely. The hardware cloth is nice and strong - doesn't dip in the middle at all. I used 36 inch wide hardware cloth, and made it hang down 3 inches on the cut ends, so I can fold it under to hold it in place. I put gorrilla tape on the cut ends, and it hangs over 1 inch on the 36" width.

dc914727.jpg

c2b2d800.jpg

9591656f.jpg

meri

Last edited by a moderator:
My First Two Brooders

My first is a Black Oval shap tough tub picked up that the Feed Store and my husband build me a top for it out of Chicken wire and wood.

December2001.jpg

December6004.jpg

My Second Broody is a plastic oblong tub bought at Walmart and my husband built me a cover for it also..This one useing for a smaller batch just had hatch couple days ago..

December6006.jpg

December6.jpg

I am sure will be getting another for batch incubating now by time they are ready for one can take heat lamp off of the first one.

Back
Top Bottom