BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Here is our plastic storage bin style brooder - so far so good for 4 baby chicks- now 5 days, I have the brooder on a table in the garage, garage temp stays about 60 degrees, with heat lamps hanging securely by chain from the garage door motor keeping the brooder about 95 in the warmest area. I am using sand on the bottom which is working out great - very easy cleanup! Even the family boxer loves watching the chick action from the viewing window....

I read that too, makes sense. I am only getting 3 chicks, if I were getting a whole bunch I would worry about the suffocation risk which I assume is primarily due to the weight of the chicks on top of the pile. Seems a lot of the smaller brooders are in fact square.
I wonder when it is necessary to have it rounded. I am getting 15. I think we are doing a horse trough version that I saw on here cause it seems like it is high enough they can grow for a bit longer in it.

Fairly new to chicks and chickens so take my opinion for what it is, opinion only. The round brooder draft guards are to prevent the chicks from stacking up, and even 15 can pile into a corner, I'd hate to lose any from something that is so easy to prevent

Since it seems many folks (like me) are using wire dog crates I thought I would share this idea.

I have cardboard around the sides but that was a problem when opening and closing the door, plus it was harder to read the digital thermometer. The crate is elevated and not on the floor because I have dogs.

I had some left over window plastic (the shrink wrap kind for insulating windows) and thought if I shrink wrapped the door I could see in easily and the chicks could see out -- they obviously like seeing what is going on and will perch near the front with a view if they can. I just took a remnant and wrapped it up and over the door (double layer) and taped the edges.

I may cover the back panel with shrink wrap too instead of cardboard so they get more natural light coming in. It is a good insulator too!

Last edited:
Since it seems many folks (like me) are using wire dog crates I thought I would share this idea. I have cardboard around the sides but that was a problem when opening and closing the door, plus it was harder to read the digital thermometer. The crate is elevated and not on the floor because I have dogs. I had some left over window plastic (the shrink wrap kind for insulating windows) and thought if I shrink wrapped the door I could see in easily and the chicks could see out -- they obviously like seeing what is going on and will perch near the front with a view if they can. I just took a remnant and wrapped it up and over the door (double layer) and taped the edges. I may cover the back panel with shrink wrap too instead of cardboard so they get more natural light coming in. It is a good insulator too!
very nice

My girls have graduated from the Rubbermaid to the big girl brooder in the garage:)

Where did you come up with that, what is it? I'd have a hard time using something like that without some kind of enclosed top due to the free range kitties on my property. I keep my little girls on the back porch, which is covered but open to the outdoors.

Where did you come up with that, what is it? I'd have a hard time using something like that without some kind of enclosed top due to the free range kitties on my property. I keep my little girls on the back porch, which is covered but open to the outdoors.
It is a play yard that I picked up at Walmart in the baby section for my puppy when we were house training. I have another one for my ducklings when they get a little bigger. I'm putting a net over the top so that I don't have any chicks flying out.

Back
Top Bottom