BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

I am wondering about height as well in a brooder. I plan on putting a cover but was looking at putting together two 50 gallon plastic tubs by cutting a hole and attaching them. Just not sure if the height would be tall enough. I could always add a third plastic tub if I felt the length wasn't enough.

How do you estimate the size of brooder you need for 15 chicks and wanting to keep th in the brooder for 8-10 weeks?
You are going to need quite a bit of space if you are going to keep them in a brooder for that long. My biggest brooder is a 2 ft x 4 ft metal stock tank. I currently have 11 four week old chicks in it and it is too small for them. I've started putting them in a temporary outside pen for a few hours a day to give them room to play. Today I will be cleaning out my outdoor brooder which is around 4 ft x 8 ft. The chicks are almost feathered out and will be moved out there permanently within the week. I have 20 more chicks that just hatched and we are planning on building a bigger brooder for them. It is either build a bigger one or use more than one. They are only a few days old but will outgrow their 1 1/2 ft x 3 ft brooder in the next 3-4 days.

You are going to need quite a bit of space if you are going to keep them in a brooder for that long. My biggest brooder is a 2 ft x 4 ft metal stock tank. I currently have 11 four week old chicks in it and it is too small for them. I've started putting them in a temporary outside pen for a few hours a day to give them room to play. Today I will be cleaning out my outdoor brooder which is around 4 ft x 8 ft. The chicks are almost feathered out and will be moved out there permanently within the week. I have 20 more chicks that just hatched and we are planning on building a bigger brooder for them. It is either build a bigger one or use more than one. They are only a few days old but will outgrow their 1 1/2 ft x 3 ft brooder in the next 3-4 days.
I wouldn't want to put them in seperate brooders or we might have issues when combing them all into the coop. I had another thought of stacking the open parts of the tubs on top of each other too if I needed more height. My hubby has to build the coop so will just make sure it is done by about 4-6 weeks :)

heres mine ,, chicks from purly poultry{or one of the vendors} will be here 3-20-14.. 30 chicks total buff ops, austrlop, rir, salmon favorell, gold laced wyndotte

2" of pine shavings and then burlap bags cut open...very easy to change and keep clean...jeff

Back
Top Bottom