BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Correct.

Pine is okay, but cedar shavings isn't safe for birds.
Make sure you carefully check your pine shavings. I just opened a brand new package and one side was moldy. The feed store must have a leak or it got wet during transport to the store.
sad.png

I've had my chicks 4 days and originally had them in a large plastic tote, they seemed cramped so I just moved them into a playpen. They love it. And my daughter loves watching "chick tv"

That's a great idea to connect totes. I bought the largest plastic tote I could find and I can already see that it's not going to last for 4-5 more weeks (4 chicks are a week old and already seem to need more room). If it would get warmer (central/west Texas), I could eventually put them outside in their run during the day and just use the brooder for evenings - probably wishful thinking...

I guess I better start looking for something bigger or get another tote. I'm looking forward to seeing momofthehouse's photos of her expanded tote-brooder.

This I what we threw together when we brought the chicks home a few days ago. I had originally planned on getting young layers, but got these when the grange had a 'get 5 free chicks with a bag of feed' sale. These are our first chickens ever and we're so excited!

Today we upgraded it a bit. I love the new setup. The white table is actually a cooler table. We're keeping feed in it.

Last edited:
That's a great idea to connect totes. I bought the largest plastic tote I could find and I can already see that it's not going to last for 4-5 more weeks (4 chicks are a week old and already seem to need more room). If it would get warmer (central/west Texas), I could eventually put them outside in their run during the day and just use the brooder for evenings - probably wishful thinking...

I wouldn't see why they couldn't hang out in the run if it's warmer.

I guess I better start looking for something bigger or get another tote. I'm looking forward to seeing momofthehouse's photos of her expanded tote-brooder.

You betcha!!

My new brooder! It's 8' long 40' wide 24" high. When on full power (the lamps are attached to dimmers) the two 250w heat lamps heat it to 97°F (the brooder is located in our 55°F basement). In between the 2 heat lamps is a 40watt flood light, also dimmable, if need be the flood lamp can be changed out for another 250w heat lamp.

There are six doors. The front right door is plexiglass. The front middle is 1/2 chicken wire with a plexiglass cover that can be opened for greater ventilation. The door in the front left is just 1/2 hardware cloth. The rear right door is solid wood. The middle door is 1/2" hardware cloth with a wooden cover that can be opened to increase ventilation. The rear left door is just 1/2' hardware cloth. The interior is covered with epoxy the exterior Rustolium.

How'd I do?

My new brooder! It's 8' long 40' wide 24" high. When on full power (the lamps are attached to dimmers) the two 250w heat lamps heat it to 97°F (the brooder is located in our 55°F basement). In between the 2 heat lamps is a 40watt flood light, also dimmable, if need be the flood lamp can be changed out for another 250w heat lamp.

There are six doors. The front right door is plexiglass. The front middle is 1/2 chicken wire with a plexiglass cover that can be opened for greater ventilation. The door in the front left is just 1/2 hardware cloth. The rear right door is solid wood. The middle door is 1/2" hardware cloth with a wooden cover that can be opened to increase ventilation. The rear left door is just 1/2' hardware cloth. The interior is covered with epoxy the exterior Rustolium.

How'd I do?
Nice !! more pics.

How'd I do?
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Very nice!!

Back
Top Bottom