BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Just finished this one that will sit on the table and below it's sitting on my smaller one from last year I plan on making the same way. I have 101 eggs set to start hatching this week on thru Easter so I need the room. I also have a tote brooder, just the basic mesh top I zip tied on.

This is our brooder tote with the brinsea and feeder, it still needs the water and bedding and i'll be getting that sticker off....but Im wondering if this is an ok size for 4 chicks? I may try and make a nipple waterer work just to save space. Would this be ok? or too small? I know its nothing grand- but if this will be too small I may try to make a cardboard box brooder from one of our massive Amazon subscribe and save boxes- any input would be great! As of now (unless the local farm doesnt have them when we are ready) will be two black australorps, one EE, and one copper maran.

This is our brooder tote with the brinsea and feeder, it still needs the water and bedding and i'll be getting that sticker off....but Im wondering if this is an ok size for 4 chicks? I may try and make a nipple waterer work just to save space. Would this be ok? or too small? I know its nothing grand- but if this will be too small I may try to make a cardboard box brooder from one of our massive Amazon subscribe and save boxes- any input would be great! As of now (unless the local farm doesnt have them when we are ready) will be two black australorps, one EE, and one copper maran.
That'll work for about a week.

That'll work for about a week.
With only 4 chicks, it might last 2 weeks! I have one just like this that I use as a first brooder for the first 4-7 days depending on how many chicks I have. I have had up to 20 chicks in there but they have graduated into a larger bin at 4 days. I like having a smaller brooder for the first few days when they are just learning where the food and water is. I keep the feed and water in the same place in each bin so they know where it is in the larger bin. My biggest indoor brooder is an 4 x 2 ft aluminum stock tank. Even it is too small for 20 three week old chicks.
smile.png

Thanks for the input! We have a pack n at I was planning on converting but of course we have just started using it again as an anti tantrum device lol. I'm hoping that I'll be able to commandeer it since it seems so spacious. I think the bin was like 8$ at Costco so not bad for an up to two week residence! :D

Thanks for the input! We have a pack n at I was planning on converting but of course we have just started using it again as an anti tantrum device lol. I'm hoping that I'll be able to commandeer it since it seems so spacious. I think the bin was like 8$ at Costco so not bad for an up to two week residence!
big_smile.png
Mine came from Costco, too! I cut away the recessed squares on the lid and put hardware cloth on the lid to keep chicks from escaping and to keep my dog & cat from getting in. With my newest & biggest plastic bin, we just cut 2 big areas on the lid and covered the opening with hardware cloth. It doesn't look as cute as all the little squares but it was a much faster process.

I have 6 chicks in a cardboard box brooder - it's 2 huge boxes that are fastened together and a hole cut in between so they have a 2 room palace. One side has roosts and a couple of small baskets for them to sit in and the other side is the dining room and this side has a lid of hardware cloth that I hung the feeder and waterer from. The other side is much taller so no lid.. But I have it...just haven't been using it.

Tonight I came home from being gone for 2+ hours and found the 4 oldest chicks OUT of the brooder and exploring the room. LOL It was so cute. I got them all back in the brooder and they were happy to be back in. Lid is now in place.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom