BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Evening everyone, I was wondering if anyone had experience converting rabbit cages to brooders? I have multiple different breeds of chicks I have ordered, and trying to save by converting my old rabbit cages.

Evening everyone, I was wondering if anyone had experience converting rabbit cages to brooders? I have multiple different breeds of chicks I have ordered, and trying to save by converting my old rabbit cages.

Welcome to BYC!

If you plan on keeping the breeds separate all thru their lives,
meaning you will also keep them separate coops/pens/etc once grown,
then this might work good.
But separation often leads to integration problems later on.

It is a great idea. I haven't done it myself, but can tell you that it will work just fine. If you have old flywire, or thick plastic or fridge shelving or really anything at all that can keep a cats arm away from the chicks that is a great idea too. I've lost some beautiful chicks to feral cats that can reach through the wire. CHICKS DON'T AVOID FERAL CATS in any meaningful way. The cat scares them across up against the far side of the cage and then goes around slowly and grabs them. They eat them through the wire. I hope this won't happen to you.

I find the perfect brooder is from an old fridge. I cut holes into it as doors, and the chicks love it. If there are about 6 or more chicks, they don't need heating, but would benefit from a shaggy something to rest underneath. Can't remember what they call that kind of hen substitute.

I've raised plenty of batches of chicks this way year round outdoors. I even use fridge shelves and old supermarket shelves as an enclosed yard. But beware of a cat's reach. Holes should be less than 10mm in any dimension or you need to add extra layers.

Other people turn furniture into cages, you might give that a go. Just one door can have a big hole cut in it and covered with flywire and chookwire. You might keep mosquitoes away from them this way.

You don't need to separate the different breeds of chicks that you receive, you can keep them together.

First timer here. Is it a good sign that they aren't huddled directly under the light?

I

Check the temp under the light. Is it 90* or less? (How old are the chicks?) What is the temp at the other end of the brooder? Where are you brooding them? And what W are you using for a light? If I use a light, I like to have it such that they go under it to get warm, but they don't stay under it all the time. I haven't used a light for several years, and now prefer to use a Sunbeam heating pad with auto on feature to make a little brooder cave for the chicks. It has made a world of difference in how the chicks respond to the brooding experience. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/yes-you-certainly-can-brood-chicks-outdoors

They usually say piling under the light is due to being cold piling at the farthest spot from the light means it's to hot. You usually want an even spread of chicks throughout the box. That being said they will usually sleep in a pile.In your pic of your brooder it looks like an even spread to me!I think you probably have it just right.

Last edited:
Question - do you want your chicks peeping softly, as opposed to peeping loudly, or not peeping at all?
Peeping softly is fine, normal.....peeping loudly needs attention.....not peeping at all is fine too, if they're still breathing.

It won't be long before you recognize the different peeps, and know when to go look and see if something's amiss.

Back
Top Bottom