BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

aart, those incandescent bulbs will be missed when they're all go. I'm sure they'll come out with "compact heating bulbs" and charge 4x the price for them, though.<sigh> When they came out saying they were going to "ban" them I went ahead and bought several small cases of them. What I don't use my kids can use when I'm gone. ;) They're good for keeping pipes from freezing, waterers from freezing, brooding chicks, incubators, heat sources for outside critters, and....for light, even. :)

Ed
Ed,

JoAnn and I went to Del's Tractor Supply today looking for an alternative to the CFL and LED lamps, but the only thing they had were the 150w, 250w and 350w flood heat lamps. I asked about them and the counter person stated that in this climate, they needed to be at least 36 inches up off the floor.
Seems like overkill to me- My brooder isn't but 24 inches to the peak, if that. We check them twice a night and they are bundled together, but not stacked up like they were cold. Some are even off the pile a bit.

Go to a regular hardware store or even a grocery store for incandescent bulbs...you're not going to find them at a farm store.
Well, you might find them at a farm supply store, but as aart said, a hardware store would be a better shot. Dollar stores (Family Dollar, Dollar General, etc.,.), Walmart, HD or Lowes, etc., would be some options.

@SuperK , being in Hawaii, you may be limited in your search for incandescent bulbs being as their demise was orchestrated for energy/environmental reasons. Another option for brooding is a heating pad...MHP - Mama Heating Pad. You might also find something at a pet store, such as reptile heat lamps, and such, though it seems that I've heard negatives about those.

It does sound like you might not need much heat to help your ambient temps be good for your chicks. I just saw a picture of some chicks that were around their feeder and waterer which was about as far from their red heat lamp as they could get...there was a small group gathered in a corner away from the lamp...they *appeared* too warm, none were in the area toward the light. With your warm climate you may do well getting something like a 40 watt "appliance bulb"....they are intended to be used in refrigerators and ovens and should still be readily found in most stores that handle such things, such as the previously mentioned stores. One thing the red heat lamps supposedly do is help a bit with pecking and cannibalism among the chicks. Also, a dimmer light is noted to help calm down feather picking and pecking among older birds (chicks, too?).

Best wises,
Ed

Ed and aart: Thank you for the input, I found a halogen puck light,about the size of an old flash bulb and a bathroom vanity light -you know, the big round "movie star" dressing room like light that is still incandescent. I will be trying this first- before I sacrifice my JoAnn's precious heating pad. If these don't cut it, I'll try the Lizard rocks as you are right, I don't need more than just a few degrees and most of these sources put out too much or, in the case of the CFL/LED none at all

Thanks!

Update on the brooder light:
Ace hardware for Appliance bulbs- 60 watts, small size bulb but the same size base so it fits in the lamp socket I already have. BTW, even the manager told me they didn't have incandescent bulbs and haven't had them for years. They were hanging next to the energy efficient bulbs but he had them. So far temps are up by just 15 degrees, but that may be enough- today was cooler at 84 and i will be checking again in an hour to see how they are huddling. Since the Mini-Coop R is inside the main coop, the light is not so good for the other birds so I will be covering the walls but not sure how I can block the light without blocking ventilation.
One problem at a time, I guess.

On a side-note.... It can be good to have 2 bulbs heating. That way, if one of them burns out the other one still gives off some heat. This is often done in DIY incubators. Just thought I'd mention it. :)

Best wishes,
Ed

I am in the process of arranging some sort of brooder for about 7 chicks, possibly less if they don't all hatch.
I picked up this cabinet today

My plan is to take the doors off, and extend the depth of it, then add the doors back on to the extension, but take out the glass and cover with hardware cloth.
As it's quite high, I was thinking of adding a board higher up so that they have 2 floors, so to speak.
How much space would I need to keep about 7 chicks for 5/6 weeks, before they are moved to an outside hen house with run?
Edited to add: as it stands it measures 38 inches wide, 26 inches high and 12 inches deep.

Last edited:
I am in the process of arranging some sort of brooder for about 7 chicks, possibly less if they don't all hatch.

My plan is to take the doors off, and extend the depth of it, then add the doors back on to the extension, but take out the glass and cover with hardware cloth.
As it's quite high, I was thinking of adding a board higher up so that they have 2 floors, so to speak.
How much space would I need to keep about 7 chicks for 5/6 weeks, before they are moved to an outside hen house with run?
Edited to add: as it stands it measures 38 inches wide, 26 inches high and 12 inches deep.

Answered here in this thread https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...nto-a-brooder-pictures-added/10#post_17506001

This looks Amazing! If JoAnn had seen this before I built our coop, it wouldn't only be the brooder that would look this good. Please post photos for us when you are done with the conversion.

Back
Top Bottom