BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

As wonderful as that is.....gave me huge grin........it's not going to hold them for very long.
Will make a great isolation and/or broody coop tho.
Ahhh Sensai; the wisdom of the experienced wasted on the exuberant.

It took exactly 10 days for these chicks to grow out of this Mini Coop-R. I did not build another larger version however. As a means to start introducing them to the flock I made a cage of 2" x 4" welded wire fencing so it acts like a pig creep. For those that don't know what a creep is, it is a space that allows the chicks access to a safe place but will exclude any bird that is too large to fit through the openings. These are mostly used in pig farrowing barns where loosing a piglet is a possibility when the sow rolls over on them. This cage is 36" x 36" to house the 12 growing piglets, I mean chicks; though they certainly eat like piglets. The other day they looked as though they were feather picked, thin and skin showing through. This morning they were better, almost as if their feathers needed to 'catch-up' with their body growth. These chicks are Cornish Cross and I knew they'd grow fast, but out of their feathers? The largest CC chick is as tall as the smallest RIR or BR chick and they are a full three weeks behind in age!

At this rate, I give them less than a week in this new wire brooder. Thankfully, they ones that do go out of the wire creep to mingle with the flock in the coop always come back in, those that have been adventurous enough to brave the outside world (the pen yard) have found a way to stay clear of the bullies that are just three weeks ahead of them in age. Not nearly the amount of chasing that I expected. I also left the Mini Coop-R in the pen as a second safe haven since they already know they are safe in it.

We do a pen/coop check every 4 hours or so to make sure they get trained to use the ramp to get back in. We also respond to any loud chicken fights, cackling or obvious distress calls since there are a few predators that, if left long enough, might be able to weasel their way into the pen and the girls are at the far end of the property. I just got a surveillance system for the house with at least one camera that will be dedicated for the girls. I want to find a way to live stream the feed to not just to our house, but onto our blog page for our families to see.

Love this Forum and all it's advice- even when I think I don't need it- LOL

Quote: Haha! CC will probably out grow the 2x4 creep openings pretty quick too.
Even by the time you butcher at 8 weeks they may not have full feather coverage...they are just like that, bodies growing beyond feathering capacity.
Many folks here have started using the 'creep' concept, but have various other names for it.
I did this spring, it was awesome.....chicks were fully integrated with flock by 6 weeks...tho still have their own roost, feed/water.

This our mobile brooder my husband built. We can dividers into it to have 3 sections. It is easy to clean because it is lined with FRP board

Bait cage from the coon/coyote trap repurposed as a baby cage. Ramen noodle cup for feed, keeps them from kicking it outside the cage. Reused empty chicken meat can for water dish. Deep enough to hold plenty of water, but not so deep they cant get out of it.

Using a Pizza box as a base to catch the shavings they kick out. Standard brooder lamp out of picture.

Bait cage from the coon/coyote trap repurposed as a baby cage. Ramen noodle cup for feed, keeps them from kicking it outside the cage. Reused empty chicken meat can for water dish. Deep enough to hold plenty of water, but not so deep they cant get out of it. Using a Pizza box as a base to catch the shavings they kick out. Standard brooder lamp out of picture.
I hope you have something bigger ready!

Looks awesome - I like the Straw bed- is this a mat from an evap cooler? either way looks easy to clean/replace. The staples in the corner might be an issue. What's the back bracket for? and how many chicks?
All in all, looks good.

It was a washing machine box. The bracket???? The one hehind the heat lamp?? That is the clamp itself that the bulb is attached too. The mat is just the non-slip stuff you put in your kitchen draws! I might have to cover those staples

Back
Top Bottom