BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

I use the big ones from tractor supply. 250W. I also use the professional brood lamp, which has a wire cage thingy that prevents the bulb from touching the bedding if it falls in.

I also have a 1KW HPS setup from my old hydroponics unit. It puts out a LOT of heat. I could probably heat the whole cabin with it.

we use this design for during the winter when we keep chicks inside the house. I have a hanging heat lamp attached to a chain that goes over one end.

I currently have 20 chicks inside in a brooder and I have 2 older chicks in the barn in a large galvanized feeding trough one.

Last edited:
Wow, I never thought they could jump that high as a little chick.
Here is our brooder. It is a 35 gallon rubbermaid tub that cost about 8$ at Walmart. We did have a cover very similar to Jsto's cover a few posts up. We had 7 and it was great and very easy to clean. I kept them in my living room until they were about 5 weeks old, then they moved out into their house with a heat bulb of course.

Miscpics032.jpg

Miscpics030.jpg

My wife and I will be receiving our first ever chicks next month. We do not have a garage and plan on having the little gals(hopefully) in our house until they are ready for the coop.
While we have seen a lot of different chicken brooder designs, I really like the kid pool concept because it is easy to put together and light weight for moving. We do plan to have more chicks in the future, but do not wish to have a permanent structure in our house.

While looking for kid pools (many are less than $10 in the local store), I found this on Amazon. Could this work or would the fabric on the sides be too delicate? I would plan on putting some padding on the bottom, but was not sure if the sides would survive or it would be more worthwhile to just get cardboard to go around the outside of a plastic kid pool.

https://www.amazon.com/Jacone-Porta...=1-27-spons&refinements=p_36:1253560011&psc=1

My wife and I will be receiving our first ever chicks next month. We do not have a garage and plan on having the little gals(hopefully) in our house until they are ready for the coop.
While we have seen a lot of different chicken brooder designs, I really like the kid pool concept because it is easy to put together and light weight for moving. We do plan to have more chicks in the future, but do not wish to have a permanent structure in our house.

While looking for kid pools (many are less than $10 in the local store), I found this on Amazon. Could this work or would the fabric on the sides be too delicate? I would plan on putting some padding on the bottom, but was not sure if the sides would survive or it would be more worthwhile to just get cardboard to go around the outside of a plastic kid pool.

https://www.amazon.com/Jacone-Porta...=1-27-spons&refinements=p_36:1253560011&psc=1
Only 14.6 inches high. Not tall enough to keep chicks in past 2 weeks.

Why not just brood the chicks out in their coop? Chicks produce so much dust and dander as they feather in, it's quite incredible. When first brooding chicks, I started them in the house. By week two, it got to be too much and out the chicks went to the garage. I can't imagine having them in the house longer than that, and breathing in all that dust and dander for weeks. And if using a heat lamp to warm them, you'll need to clean it off at least daily.

Thanks for the advice. I did not realize they produced all the dust as most people talked about it being from pine bedding, etc.
Currently our 8x18 run is complete with roof, sides, etc. and all hardware cloth is in place. I now simply need to finish building the coop inside. I only need a couple nice days outside with help from my dad and it should be ready.

Maybe we could move them outside after the first week and they don't need as much attention. My wife is purchasing me an Ecoglow 20 as a birthday gift as I worry about the heat from a lamp and know the power consumption will be much lower with this. We are located in Raleigh, NC, so it doesn't often get much below 30 degrees during this time of year.

We will see how things go.

Back
Top Bottom