BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

New addition to original brooder

Last edited:
Last year, we used a large plastic storage container. I modified it for use as a brooder but we had bad weather and the chicks needed an expansion before they could go outside. Last week, I came home from a trip and found my DH had gone a bit overboard on this year's brooder. To give you an idea of the dimensions, that's a 3' x 6' sheet of plywood forming the base and a 1 x 6 frame to keep the mess in. The heat lamp with ceramic bulb is temporary until my heat plate comes back from loan!
(I guess he really wasn't keen on having to expand the old brooder...
barnie.gif
)

He attached the 1 x 1s (just the ones you see forming the inner rectangle in the pic below) to the base. The frame is loose in case we want to remove it for end of season cleaning. (How chicks can poop upward is a mystery!) Anyway, note that it's critical the frame fit precisely since the side panels slide into, and are held in place by, the channel formed by the 1 x 1s and the frame.

He placed bolts closer to the top of the end panels to secure them better to the panels running lengthwise.

He also put locking casters on the bottom so we can move it easily and clean underneath it.

I will reuse last year's nipple waterer mounted in a bicycle holder and attach it to an upright support of one of the long side panels. A heavy plastic liner will go in the bottom and that'll be covered with a nice layer of hemp bedding.
I asked DH to make a top out of light duty plywood with a piano hinge in the middle. It'll be the same size as the bottom plywood sheet so there will be some overhang and no handle will be necessary. (Remember, the heat lamp will be replaced with a heat plate before the chicks are a week old so they won't be trying to jump out by then.)
At the end of its season, the liner will lift out with the used bedding, the bicycle holder will be removed, and the bolts with wingnuts will be removed. Then, the side panels will slide out and store flat within the 1 x 6 frame. The top will sit on the frame and I can stack my seasonal supplies on top to save floor space.
Thank you DH!
love.gif

Last year, we used a large plastic storage container. I modified it for use as a brooder but we had bad weather and the chicks needed an expansion before they could go outside. Last week, I came home from a trip and found my DH had gone a bit overboard on this year's brooder. To give you an idea of the dimensions, that's a 3' x 6' sheet of plywood forming the base and a 1 x 6 frame to keep the mess in. The heat lamp with ceramic bulb is temporary until my heat plate comes back from loan!
(I guess he really wasn't keen on having to expand the old brooder...
barnie.gif
)

Wow! I love it! What a great husband!

Pros/cons of wire brooders?? Planning on getting 40-50 at once this year so need something larger than the guinea pig cage.

I have multple hanging rabbit cages i could use. Taking out the dividers of one leaves 7.5'x2.5'x18" area

Pros/cons of wire brooders?? Planning on getting 40-50 at once this year so need something larger than the guinea pig cage.

I have multple hanging rabbit cages i could use. Taking out the dividers of one leaves 7.5'x2.5'x18" area
Meat birds or layers?
Do you have a coop big enough to hold that many birds?
How long would the chicks need to be in the brooder?

Meat birds or layers?
Do you have a coop big enough to hold that many birds?
How long would the chicks need to be in the brooder?

Plan on doing a hatchery surprise. Keeping some layers, selling what we dont want, eating the roosters and what dont sell. Moving them out to a coop when they dont need extra heat.

Will likely do 25 meaties also but at a different time

40-50 chicks in the house until about 4-6 weeks :eek:
You'll need about 2 sqft per bird.

Oh my. No no not in the house lol. In the pole barn. More like how much of the wire should be covered with some wood for drafts? 3 sides? Or 1/3 of it "boxed" to keep shavings in to contain heat for the first week then open up to the wire side as they get larger?

I have a couple extra coops for growing but they dont get electric unless i run extention cord. Only the main coop has electric.

Edited: How do they do on wire? Or should put down a mesh for shavings? Parts of the barn have hardwood from old horse stalls so they'd be put up against one. Ive brooded in a horse tanks in the barn but that wont be large enough.

Also, getting them in warmer weather so we dont need the heat as long

Last edited:
Where does everybody keep their brooders in the house, garage, Barn etc... I have 1 in house with 4 week old birds, one in coop with 3 month olds (my barred rick is being mean to them so I cant let them out unsupervised) one in my bedroom in a plastic tub are 2-3 week olds. I'm so sick of having them in the house lol so messy but afraid to put 4 week olds outside because too cold

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom