BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

I just recycled some cardboard and made 21 x 25 inch panels and clamped them together with Harbor Freight clamps. I got a free Tarp from Harbor Freight for the bottom. Heat lamp is clamped to an adjustable guitar stand with Satco 175W red heat lamp. Probiotic and Electrolyte packs from Sav-A-Chick for the water container. Food container and Thermometer to keep track of heat. There are additional cardboard panels to add as the chicks get older and additional food and water dishes. Newspaper and shavings will be added onto the tarp. This is a great method for bonding to the chicks because you can remove a panel easily and approach them from the side. Most other brooders, you have to appear as an aerial predator and approach them from above.

We stumbled into this by accident. With the high-side tubs, the chicks would spook and run away as soon as you were looming overhead. The latest brooder was constructed from materials on-hand,and the front panel is short. There's wire mesh closing the gap. The chicks all "prarie dog" when you enter the room, and can see you as you approach. Makes a big difference for their calmness. Wasn't by design, but it's a good thing.

Well the 35 gallon rubber made tote brooder lasted about a week and half! We ended up setting up an x-pen we have for the dogs, lining it with cardboard, putting it in a base for the xpen that we had made for when the dogs were puppies, and using this for a brooder. We had made a nice brooder two years ago but I think the sides are two short! These girls are already starting to jump and fly around at almost three weeks!

Well the 35 gallon rubber made tote brooder lasted about a week and half! We ended up setting up an x-pen we have for the dogs, lining it with cardboard, putting it in a base for the xpen that we had made for when the dogs were puppies, and using this for a brooder. We had made a nice brooder two years ago but I think the sides are two short! These girls are already starting to jump and fly around at almost three weeks!

Forgot the pic!

We stumbled into this by accident. With the high-side tubs, the chicks would spook and run away as soon as you were looming overhead. The latest brooder was constructed from materials on-hand,and the front panel is short. There's wire mesh closing the gap. The chicks all "prarie dog" when you enter the room, and can see you as you approach. Makes a big difference for their calmness. Wasn't by design, but it's a good thing.

At first they did spook with the tall sides, but now that they are one month old, I started giving them 1/2 inch meal worms. As soon as they see the white round container, they all wait by the nearest panel that I usually open. I set another tarp down next to the opening, remove the panel, and while I lay down low to the ground, they charge out and climb on top of me to be fed. I lay with them long enough to get comfortable with me that they all sleep on me and all around next to me. They are all going to love me if I keep this routine going. I never chase, grab or force them. I let them come to me. While they are eating next to my hand, I slowly just move my fingers across them to pet them and they don't even know it. Eventually they know it,but accept it and allow me to go further. I just have to be patient and spend time laying on the floor. That is key, lay on the floor low and let them maul YOU to death.

First time brooder builder
1f60a.png
Converted a 35 gal storage tote to make it hopefully cat and pre-schooler proof. Currently test-running the heat lamp. After that we'll add wood shavings... and chicks.

Any input from more experienced folks welcome.

Yes, xpens are so useful! I use one for the dog, we used to have one for the indoor bunny and I got an extra one to make a auper large brooder last year. I lined it with moving boxes and covered it with chicken wire - perfect!
Now I am using two xpen panels (I pried upen the connectors - I will used zip ties when I need to reconnect them) as lid for my galvanized trough brooder - it folds so I can open just one side - so handy!

Back
Top Bottom