BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

You think maybe it's time to finish that coop?!
1f914.png
1f602.png

I was on it this evening. The run has hardware cloth and chicken wire installed. I need to build a people-door. The coop has been painted on the inside, but needs the chicken-door cut out and a ramp installed. And I need to make a clean-out door for the coop. And I need to block off the nesting box area until they're fabbed. And I need to install some chicken wire and some blocking to keep the chickens from escaping the coop through the roof trusses.

But yeah, they needed to move out about 3 weeks ago. (Didn't help that we had a month of rain in April.)

I was on it this evening.  The run has hardware cloth and chicken wire installed.  I need to build a people-door.  The coop has been painted on the inside, but needs the chicken-door cut out and a ramp installed.  And I need to make a clean-out door for the coop.  And I need to block off the nesting box area until they're fabbed.  And I need to install some chicken wire and some blocking to keep the chickens from escaping the coop through the roof trusses. 

But yeah, they needed to move out about 3 weeks ago.  (Didn't help that we had a month of rain in April.)

It always takes longer than you think it will. FWIW, I didn't bother about blocking the nest area and none of them took to sleeping in it. I'm not sure how big of a risk that actually is.

I was on it this evening. The run has hardware cloth and chicken wire installed. I need to build a people-door. The coop has been painted on the inside, but needs the chicken-door cut out and a ramp installed. And I need to make a clean-out door for the coop. And I need to block off the nesting box area until they're fabbed. And I need to install some chicken wire and some blocking to keep the chickens from escaping the coop through the roof trusses.

But yeah, they needed to move out about 3 weeks ago. (Didn't help that we had a month of rain in April.)
FWIW, I've always ended up finishing any coop build after the flock has been installed. Makes for some interesting moments, as they supervise the construction details. Our big coop ended up taking 10 weeks to complete. I expected it to be done in 2 weeks. Oh silly me!!!

FWIW, I've always ended up finishing any coop build after the flock has been installed.  Makes for some interesting moments, as they supervise the construction details.  Our big coop ended up taking 10 weeks to complete.  I expected it to be done in 2 weeks.  Oh silly me!!!  

Somewhere I have a picture of my husband using power tools with a dominique on his arm.
1f602.png

We decided to use our dog kennel, it is approximately 5' x 5' and 4' tall, with a rubber Matt under it for traction when they get a bit older. For now we have put a kiddie pool inside with shavings. It's not the prettiest but the chicks seem to be happy. The plan is to eventually remove the pool and have them in the main kennel, we will like the sides with cardboard as the sides are 2x4 grate and a chick could slip right through.... Here's a look!

20170516_225624.jpg 20170511_213849.jpg

My hubby finally finished our brooder yesterday. When these ladies were new little chicks, I had them in an old i e chest with hardware cloth over the top and a heat lamp clamped over the opening. We went to South Padre for the weekend after chicks were born, and the neighbors took care of our chicks. Hubby started this new brooder and our chicks have been at our neighbor's in their brooder since. I finally got them back in their new little home.
IMG_7572.JPG

I used some mulch from the pile of free mulch I get from the local tree cutters for the bedding. It was all I had with an empty wallet.
IMG_7575.JPG
IMG_7579.JPG

He used an old cabinet door that was just sitting in a corner in the house collecting dust, for the front door. Works pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom