BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

The Brooder
007.jpg

Oh look, chickies!
006.jpg

Pretty sparse at the moment, makes it easier to clean up chick poo
002.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

It is actually a mesh puppy play pen. Cheap, foldable, and has a lot of space.

90968_dsc_0144.jpg

We used scrap lumber to construct a 2x4 box, with a lid that completely lifts off. Only piece we had to buy was the plexiglass front... great for watching them through the kitchen window (they are in the mudroom).
There are two hardware cloth "windows" that hinge open on top, to access the food/water without disrupting the heat lamp.
It is a bit hard for me to grab the chicks... I'm only 5'2" with short arms!!!

82495_chickquarium.jpg

We started out with a RubberMaid bin, but found it too small and we were standing up all the time to look in the top to see them. Out comes the old Aquarium!! Perfect! We love watching them!

Quote:
Awwwww! I can't WAIT to get my speckled sussex chicks Wednesday. This will be the first time I've ever had speckled sussex. She's beautiful, and what a great photo!!

Thanks. The SS are great chickens, lots of personality, the friendliest in our flock - and that includes Delawares! TrackStar is a first-time broody, only one year old and did a great job. Now she's sick of being a mom already though...

First time chick parents here! My husband built it the weekend before they arrived. At one week old, it is perfect! The cat was discovered sitting on top of the screen roof this morning! Good thing we re-inforced it for just that reason!

104_0167.jpg

Back
Top Bottom