BROODER thread! Post pics of your brooders!

Quote:
I'm gonna take that and say a perch or just some type of obstacle to play on so the little ones don't get bored. But do correct me if I'm wrong. I mean they could have an easy bake oven and teach there bitties to make bread.
hu.gif

Our first brooder was a stock tank, I also used a ferret cage..and then after a week, we used a whelping frame and we built a lid for the top..this is working really well in our warm climate. We used an amber 60 watt and sand from our yard.

86660_chick-brooder-garage2.jpg

86660_chick-brooder-garage.jpg

86660_broodercrate.jpg

IMG_0574.JPG

Its some cage I found in the shed, 250w heat light, you can see the starter crumbles, and then some regular feed for a snack, and in the corner is an old ash tray with fine silt/sandy dirt from the drive.
The black container gives them some place to play king of the hill.

Quote:
Newspapers are not good for chick bedding. It doesn't have enough traction and the chicks can suffer splayed legs. Use textured paper towels (like Bounty or Brawny types) or pine shavings to give them better traction.

Quote:
what did you make your large one out of I really like it. I can see the baby gate on the end but not sure what the rest of the sides are make from. I can actually use that for when i am sitting outside so the babies can play in the grass without going anywhere.
deana

Quote:
I'm gonna take that and say a perch or just some type of obstacle to play on so the little ones don't get bored. But do correct me if I'm wrong. I mean they could have an easy bake oven and teach there bitties to make bread.
hu.gif

Yep, it's just to give them something to play with. I don't know if I started it, but I had posted a thread about toys and ended up just using what I could find around the house for them and the bread loaf pan ended up being a huge hit. They had a blast with it. When they were itty bitty, they would take flying leaps at it and shoot right off the other end. They loved pecking it and climbing on it. Now that they are bigger, they flip it over, climb in it, climb on it, and fight over it.

The large brooder is actually a drying rack, well WAS a drying rack... made up of 4 parts or sections of a drying rack. it is pvc 1" pipes & elbow fittings. Each piece of pvc is connected at the corners fitted in to the elbows A real fine/very small holes, Wire is attached to the outsides of the pipes (you could use a screen instead of wire) usually there are pieces of the pvc that fit in each corner/elbow which is how the racks are stacked on top of one another. ~ We used some wire to wrap around the corners & sides to hold them together. There's only 4 sides, No bottom. i put newspaper on floor then some puppy pads on that. makes it easy to pick up/clean up pick up pad & throw away as needed. I use "pads" that are used for human's beds there cheaper than puppy pads. ~Julie~
75632_dsc01326.jpg
for some reason a "large wire" was used on the back part/section of the rack, Which the holes or gaps were too big & small babies could get out. So i only have the gate leaning against it to help block the large holes. gate sometimes laid up on top so chicks couldn't fly out.

Last edited:
I turned my 55g aquarium into a dual purpose incubator/brooder.

On the right:
Incubator.jpg

Just before lockdown, I took the basket out and wedged a cookie cooling rack in between the eggs and the heat/humidity source. I'm amazed they survived all my tinkering, but in the end, I guess it worked out alright. I've got 9 fuzzy butts running around!

The day after they hatched, I took out all the "incubator stuff," moved the light to be overhead, and cut a hole in the styrofoam wall. Add some food, some water, a sand box, and a tiny salad bar & voila! Brooder! They actually tried to force their way through the cookie rack once they saw the hole, LOL!

IMGP1025.jpg

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them when they outgrow it- hopefully I'll have the coop built by then!

Back
Top Bottom