Broodiness Posing a Real Problem

Ann10

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 20, 2014
Hi, I started keeping chickens last February with 2 Buff Orpington pullets. They started to lay in May and immediately one of them became broody. I got her 2 buff orpington chicks to raise which she did well but went back to being broody after about 4 weeks. I finally sold her to a farm as I live in a suburb with a limit of 3 backyard chickens. Now, the chicks are 10 weeks old and doing well. Their "aunt" stepped up to the plate to help them along but now it seems it started her maternal juices flowing and she is sitting on the nest all day and night. I cannot keep dealing with broody hens as I work all day and have our limit of 3 chickens. I called the local feed store and asked what kind of chicks they have. They told me: americaunas, black sex links and wyandots. I see that all but the black sex links can also get broody which is my main objective to avoid with this last chick to be added. I see the black sex links tend to not get broody but can be VERY loud. My chickens now are extremely quiet which works well as they are against the fence of a cranky neighbor who calls the police often for stupid things, they will call in a second if my chickens bother them. I want to get her one chick to raise to hopefully break her broodiness. Any suggestions?

Have you tried to break her? It is possible, with one broody gone, the other one won't do it again. Of course, you don't have to give a broody fertile eggs to hatch. It's a good way to break a broody -- if you want the chicks. I'll give you a link or two on broody breaking methods. Many people keep a "broody buster" area or cage.

You might also consider selliing the chicks on craigslist or our BST forum. Especially after the feed stores stop selling them, it usually isnt that hard to find a home for a few chicks.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/encouraging-or-discouraging-broodiness-in-your-hens

http://www.themodernhomestead.us/article/Broody-Hens-5.html

I saw the first signs of broodiness on Friday, I dunked her several times in cool water, put ice water bottles in her nesting box and also locked her out of her coop for hours at a time. So far, none of it has worked. I can keep trying for a few more days. One thing I don't have is a wire cage, I could get one if really needed.

Sme people use a separate pen with a stone or concrete floor, if you happen to have something like that.
Apparently the cool surface without any hay, etc. works very well. Many eople feel the dog crate method is the best.

Back
Top Bottom