Brooding hen running away from eggs

Crnagora

In the Brooder
May 10, 2023
Recently got a flock of 10 chickens and a rooster, a week has passed now I believe one of my hens have gone broody. She sits in the nest box all day, when I get close to her or open the nest box she runs away and clucks non stop until she goes back in. I’ve been told that broody hens are usually very protective of their eggs and rarely leave the nest so the running away has me a little confused.

Do not give her eggs yet. And leave her be, you can upset them to the point that they will break being broody. Often times, they play at being broody, for a couple of days before they get serious. THEN give her some marked eggs.

"Open the nest box..." Do you mean when you open the nest box to get the other birds eggs? This might frighten her. If that is the kind of set up you have, can you tape a piece of cardboard or something over her, so that when you open the nests you don't scare her?

Mrs K

Do not give her eggs yet. And leave her be, you can upset them to the point that they will break being broody. Often times, they play at being broody, for a couple of days before they get serious. THEN give her some marked eggs.

"Open the nest box..." Do you mean when you open the nest box to get the other birds eggs? This might frighten her. If that is the kind of set up you have, can you tape a piece of cardboard or something over her, so that when you open the nests you don't scare her?

Mrs K
Thats a good idea I appreciate the advice. You’re right when I open the lid it opens all other nest boxes.

A picture of the nest boxes and how they open would be very useful.
Can’t get a picture right now but it’s pretty much like this but mine opens from the top. Might have to change that.

Attachments

• BAED1572-7C59-45D4-B30C-0A9AD05BE4FB.png
    BAED1572-7C59-45D4-B30C-0A9AD05BE4FB.png
    146.1 KB · Views: 6
I’ve been told that broody hens are usually very protective of their eggs and rarely leave the nest so the running away has me a little confused.
She's in a new environment, not used to you or the opening of the nest.
Are you positive she's broody, is she in the nest all night?
Is this your first flock?
Do you want a broody to hatch eggs?

She's in a new environment, not used to you or the opening of the nest.
Are you positive she's broody, is she in the nest all night?
Is this your first flock?
Do you want a broody to hatch eggs?
Yea she’s in the nest all day and night. This is my first flock and I would like her to hatch the eggs.

This is my first flock and I would like her to hatch the eggs.
Dealing with a broody can be a challenge. You'll need to mark the eggs she's on and remove any new ones laid in the nest daily.

Do you have the space needed? Both for more chickens and she may need to be separated by wire from the rest of the flock.

Do you have a plan on what to do with the inevitable males? Rehome, butcher, keep in separate 'bachelor pad'?

If you decide to let her hatch out some fertile eggs, this is a great thread for reference and to ask questions.
It's a long one but just start reading the first few pages, then browse thru some more at random. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/broody-hen-thread.496101/

Dealing with a broody can be a challenge. You'll need to mark the eggs she's on and remove any new ones laid in the nest daily.

Do you have the space needed? Both for more chickens and she may need to be separated by wire from the rest of the flock.

Do you have a plan on what to do with the inevitable males? Rehome, butcher, keep in separate 'bachelor pad'?

If you decide to let her hatch out some fertile eggs, this is a great thread for reference and to ask questions.
It's a long one but just start reading the first few pages, then browse thru some more at random. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/broody-hen-thread.496101/
Thanks for the advice and the link , there’s enough space and there are many places around my area where I can rehome the roosters.

Back
Top Bottom