Broody Australorp hen?

My Australoup Ms. Liz is sitting on 6 Guniea eggs and has been for 7 days. I have decided to allow the hatching. Wish me luck! Will be needing another coop.

If you can block off nest access, that helps. After I took the nests out, my determined Silkie huddled down on the floor, so I blocked off the entire coop for a day and that seemed to do the trick. - mind my girls had laid for the day and they have shelter in the run.

I am going into day 9 with my broody Black Australorp. I have had her in a wire cage with food and water. I put her on the roost at night locked up with the rest of the girls. This evening I took out the nest she liked when she could get to it. She went to two other nests. She is very determined! I also have tried putting cold water on her breast for the last 3 days. This is the second time she has gone broody this spring. First time I was able to break her after 3 days. Since I have 19 hens and they lay at different times I can't lock her out of the coop. I don't have a rooster and I don't need any babies this year so I don't want to put fertile eggs under her.

Back
Top Bottom