Broody Bantam Hatching Chicks - Today or tomorrow!

Chickin Fairy

Songster
May 13, 2023
SW Michigan, US
We're expecting two baby bantams today or tomorrow!! Eek!!

Rocket went broody the last week of April and I tried to break her, but she refused. Then, I met a friend who has lots of birds, and she constantly has fertile bantam eggs. I asked her if I could have 2 and see if Rocket is a reliable broody.

I put the eggs under her exactly 2 weeks into her broodiness. I had no idea if she would continue to sit or get tired of it after another week. She has been sitting faithfully and no complaints. She's so calm. She fluffy up when I get close, but doesn't peck or try to bite me. At the same time I gave her the eggs, I moved her from the main coop into a side coop on the other end of the run. This was fun (sarcasm). I moved her at night, but she would get up the next morning pacing and wanting to go back to the big coop. Finally, I moved her again at night and covered her new nesting box with a thin beach towel for about 24 hours before she got used to the new place.

The additional coop I have was the original one I raised my birds in. I hadn't needed to use it, yet, but when it's unused, I remove the floor, and it's basically a frame that covers part of the run underneath. When I slide the floor in, I can use it for quarantine, medical tent, or in my favorite case, a brooder.

I had one egg that was cracked in at the airsac. I mended it with candlewax. I candled both eggs at 7 days and again at 14 and they are growing. I'm a nerd and set up a camera in Rocket's Coop to watch without disturbing her. Yikes! Did you know that hens will roll their eggs around? I didn't until I watched her yesterday. Quite a learning experience and fun to see this secret life.

I'll post more of my adventure here when things happen, and how I have my coop set up so it is baby-friendly, and my favorite chick products to use (hint: keep the Rent-A-Coop waterer).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230527-085620_Adorcam.jpg
    Screenshot_20230527-085620_Adorcam.jpg
    731.6 KB · Views: 63
So exciting! I hope she hatches two perfect chicks! I have a stubborn broody, she's on her second stint already this year, I've contemplated getting hatching eggs but were at max capacity 🤣

Your side coop sounds very flexible and handy.

I'm posting mainly so I can see your updates with that camera. You are going to see some interesting things.

Broody hens turn their eggs just like we turn eggs in an incubator. It helps the eggs develop in different ways. I'm especially interested in how much turning she does as the eggs hatch.

I put the eggs under her exactly 2 weeks into her broodiness. I had no idea if she would continue to sit or get tired of it after another week. She has been sitting faithfully and no complaints
You never know what a living animal will actually do, but most broodies will stay on the nest at least 5 weeks. I often do not give my broodies eggs until they have been broody for a week. I really don't think they can count.

I moved her from the main coop into a side coop on the other end of the run. This was fun (sarcasm). I moved her at night, but she would get up the next morning pacing and wanting to go back to the big coop. Finally, I moved her again at night and covered her new nesting box with a thin beach towel for about 24 hours before she got used to the new place.
Good for you. Some broody hens are easy to move, some harder. I find that keeping them in a dark nest for a day helps them accept the move. You still don't get a guarantee that a broody will accept the move but I think it helps.

The additional coop I have was the original one I raised my birds in. I hadn't needed to use it, yet, but when it's unused, I remove the floor, and it's basically a frame that covers part of the run underneath. When I slide the floor in, I can use it for quarantine, medical tent, or in my favorite case, a brooder.
I find it extremely helpful to have a place like this. When I built my brooder in the main coop I gave it a 1/2" hardware cloth floor and elevated it. I slip a piece of plywood on some of the floor when I use it as a brooder but can tilt the plywood and scrape it off for easy cleaning. I can't use it for quarantine since it is in the main coop but I can isolate a chicken or use it as a broody buster.

Looking forward to your success and updates.

I set up my camera, her nest, and the waterer so the babies can have an easier time moving around and so for the first few day, I don't have to go in to disturb anyone. I can see the water level for mama and she had one last romp out of the nest to poop and eat and drink. Now for the long wait.

Also, here are some shots from the camera yesterday. It seems hens will let their eggs cool off if they are getting too warm.

And finally, the egg I repaired. Hoping it doesn't interfere with hatching.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230527-104106_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230527-104106_Gallery.jpg
    659.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20230527-103635_Adorcam.jpg
    Screenshot_20230527-103635_Adorcam.jpg
    815.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 20230527_101855.jpg
    20230527_101855.jpg
    507.7 KB · Views: 11
Update: I thought when my standard sized EE hopped up to the coop and scared my bantam, she had stepped on an egg and cracked it. Turns out, NOPE. We have chirping and hatching from one egg! When I thought it was cracked, dummy me started to put wax over it. Lesson learned: leave them be here on out.

Attachments

• 20230527_180159.jpg
    20230527_180159.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 9
Last night was fun to watch Rocket. She would start to doze off and then sit up real straight all of a sudden. Kinda like she'd just gotten a swift kick to the belly :gigShe was still rolling the eggs around. I've attached a couple of screenshots. You can see the egg with a clear hole in it, she rolled that out and then tucked it back under her. Interesting that hens continue to move chicks while they are hatching. Nice to know she's helping them hatch!!

However, tuning in this morning and this little guy popped out as if to say, "Good morning! I'm here!"

Looks like we still have one egg remaining. Rocket is being a good mom so far!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230528-072513_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20230528-072513_Video Player.jpg
    650.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Screenshot_20230528-072536_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20230528-072536_Video Player.jpg
    651.3 KB · Views: 10
  • VideoCapture_20230528-073633.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230528-073633.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 10
  • VideoCapture_20230528-073643.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230528-073643.jpg
    435.5 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Last night was fun to watch Rocket. She would start to doze off and then sit up real straight all of a sudden. Kinda like she'd just gotten a swift kick to the belly :gigShe was still rolling the eggs around. I've attached a couple of screenshots. You can see the egg with a clear hole in it, she rolled that out and then tucked it back under her. Interesting that hens continue to move chicks while they are hatching. Nice to know she's helping them hatch!!

However, tuning in this morning and this little guy popped out as if to say, "Good morning! I'm here!"

Looks like we still have one egg remaining. Rocket is being a good mom so far!
What camera are you using?

@JacinLarkwell you did notice that the hen continues to turn the eggs that have pipped. I'm glad to get that confirmed. I suspected that but I'd never seen it before. I don't have cameras on them and generally leave my broody hens alone. I'm going to link a few others that might be interested in that if they don't already know. I'm sure I'll miss other people.

@aart @rosemarythyme @Folly's place @Mrs. K @Kiki @sourland

Back
Top Bottom