Broody blue star??

Silkie2299781

Songster
Feb 21, 2023
Ok, so I'm wondering if i could let my broody blue star sit, and get chicks from the feed store and give them to her, but would she sit an extra 2-3 days until i can get chicks? I'm only asking this because she is only 8 months old, and i thought blue stars weren't a broody breed, so i want to make sure she will continue to sit, and accept chicks from the feed store??

TIA!

Blue star?
Since this is in turkey forum I assume spell check didn't like blue slate.
I have trouble getting turkeys to quit being broody.
I have given turkey chicken eggs and most raise them fine, I did have one that kept killing them as they hatched. I never gave them chicks. They usually will take poults though.

Blue star?
I have given turkey chicken eggs and most raise them fine, I did have one that kept killing them as they hatched. I never gave them chicks. They usually will take poults though.
Blue Star is a chicken breed.

I have always had good luck slipping chicks under a broody hen. There is a trick to it, though.

When you get the chicks, make sure they all get a drink of water.

This sounds heartless but chicks and hen is a two way street. The chicks have got to want the mama, as much as the mama wants the chicks. The way you do it, is in the late afternoon, near dark let them get chilled. Chilled chicks peep madly, that is what you want.

Take the chicks down to the coop, cheeping out side of the coop. It should be completely dark now. Let them set out there for a few minutes so she can hear them. Then with minimal light, as close to dark as you can get, wearing gloves stick the chicks under her. If they are cold, they will burrow in like ticks. That is what you want... and it should get silent. The broody hen will change her cluck, and start talking to them.

THEN LEAVE them alone. A lot of people trying to be nice, keep adjusting things, using enough light so they can see if is working, wind up upsetting the broody hen, and then think she is a bad hen because she doesn't take them.

Mrs K

Blue star?
Sorry. I also posted a turkey question, and i guess i posted it in the wrong section. But it is a chicken breed.

I have always had good luck slipping chicks under a broody hen. There is a trick to it, though.

When you get the chicks, make sure they all get a drink of water.

This sounds heartless but chicks and hen is a two way street. The chicks have got to want the mama, as much as the mama wants the chicks. The way you do it, is in the late afternoon, near dark let them get chilled. Chilled chicks peep madly, that is what you want.

Take the chicks down to the coop, cheeping out side of the coop. It should be completely dark now. Let them set out there for a few minutes so she can hear them. Then with minimal light, as close to dark as you can get, wearing gloves stick the chicks under her. If they are cold, they will burrow in like ticks. That is what you want... and it should get silent. The broody hen will change her cluck, and start talking to them.

THEN LEAVE them alone. A lot of people trying to be nice, keep adjusting things, using enough light so they can see if is working, wind up upsetting the broody hen, and then think she is a bad hen because she doesn't take them.

Mrs K
Thank you so much! I will try this! I also will set up a brooder just in case.

Back
Top Bottom