Broody drake?!?!?!

Cheems

Songster
Apr 10, 2022
So my white call duck drake (Carl) who is 2 years old has found a hen he really likes this season and he has not left her side!!! It started when she went broody and he constantly stood beside her and went with her everywhere, when I held her, he waited right there watching me!!! When she eats, he goes along with her, when she drinks, he goes along too

It’s incredibly adorable and the most recent thing is he actually is sitting in the nest with her on the eggs!! It’s incredibly adorable although I could tell they were getting too hot so I put a tarp over them to keep them in the shade

Anyone else have their drakes behave like this or have any clue what’s up with him? He is being such a good boy!!

Attachments

• IMG_7620.jpeg
    IMG_7620.jpeg
    860.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_7618.jpeg
    IMG_7618.jpeg
    953.9 KB · Views: 8
So my white call duck drake (Carl) who is 2 years old has found a hen he really likes this season and he has not left her side!!! It started when she went broody and he constantly stood beside her and went with her everywhere, when I held her, he waited right there watching me!!! When she eats, he goes along with her, when she drinks, he goes along too

It’s incredibly adorable and the most recent thing is he actually is sitting in the nest with her on the eggs!! It’s incredibly adorable although I could tell they were getting too hot so I put a tarp over them to keep them in the shade

Anyone else have their drakes behave like this or have any clue what’s up with him? He is being such a good boy!!
That is the cutest thing that I have ever read/seen! 😍❤️

Pair bonds among waterfowl can be extremely strong. I once witnessed a Canada gander 'guarding' the body of his road killed mate for 5 days.
That’s fascinating and although very tragic, at the same time it’s very sweet. Every day these ducks surprise me with something lol!!

That’s fascinating and although very tragic, at the same time it’s very sweet. Every day these ducks surprise me with something lol!!
Get some pigeons. Their interactions run the gamut : monogamous, cheaters, same sex, divorce, polyamory. Many times I have seen a female pigeon knock her mate off of another female when she catches him cheating.

Get some pigeons. Their interactions run the gamut : monogamous, cheaters, same sex, divorce, polyamory. Many times I have seen a female pigeon knock her mate off of another female when she catches him cheating.
That sounds hilarious lol and if I ever get the opportunity to, that sounds like so much fun!

That is so adorable!!! I can’t believe how cute that is and without a hen too!! 😍
He’d move out of the way whenever his hens needed to lay, but as soon as they were done, he’d hop right back on the nest and stay there all night ❤️ I think he was upset my girls weren’t broody and tried to take their job haha

Back
Top Bottom