Broody duck question.

Henrybetta

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 15, 2014
My question is too long to google so I thought I would ask here;

My Indian Runner duck disappeared 2 nights ago, we thought she had been taken by something. Then, the next day she returned but quickly disappeared again. We found her that night sleeping in the tall grass and she startled and ran into the duck house. I noticed today she has a nest of 7 eggs in the tall grass where she had been hiding. She is currently sitting on them.

Tonight, I would like to move them to the duck house with her but I am wondering if she sat on them all day yesterday and then we locked her away from them last night if they would still be viable? I think she was only sitting on them for the better part of one day. Also, the property is flooded and I wouldn't be surprised if her nest was saturated.

I would personally put them in the duck house and if she sits leave her be and then candle them after about 10-11 days to see if the embryos have grown.
Sorry for not a certain answer but it’s hard to know if they will still be viable or not
Hope this helps

Good luck. I have never successfully moved a setting duck. Unlike chicken hens all that I have moved have broken broodiness.

I would personally put them in the duck house and if she sits leave her be and then candle them after about 10-11 days to see if the embryos have grown.
Sorry for not a certain answer but it’s hard to know if they will still be viable or not
Hope this helps

Thank you.

Good luck. I have never successfully moved a setting duck. Unlike chicken hens all that I have moved have broken broodiness.
That is a shame. I can't let her sleep outside though so I guess I will just try and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom