Broody Goose in December?

The Chickeneer

~A Morning's Crow~
9 Years
Jan 9, 2011
Central Valley California
We bought a pair of Sebastopol geese this summer.We noticed this November that hen had been going in and out of their little hut we built them(about the size of a dog house). I didn't bother checking for eggs because I read somewhere that geese lay eggs in the spring only. Well now she is broody on 9 eggs! This was a very pleasant surprise.The male stays by the hut with her all day and night, and will bite anyone who comes near. I have never hatched or raised goslings before, im not sure when she started setting, but I think this is the third and a half week. I added some straw in there for her, and placed a bowl of food and water right outside the little hut. How many days does it take to hatch these geese? Are the eggs even fertile, since winter isn't exactly their breeding season? I've never seen the geese mate in all the time they've been here. Will the aggressive/protective male be a problem when the goslings hatch?Will he hurt them? This was a very nice surprise and I have so many questions I don't know where to start, .

Although not usual, it is not unheard of for a goose to set this time of year. Hopefully the eggs are fertile. Most geese have STRONG parental instincts, and if the goslings hatch he may become more aggressive - towards YOU not the goslings. Good luck and update if the goslings hatch - roughly 28 day incubation period.

Ganders are wonderful fathers. Looking forward to hearing if you get goslings, just remember what sourland said they will be very protective of their goslings and will not tolerate many around them. It's just their natural instinct.

Ganders are wonderful fathers. Looking forward to hearing if you get goslings, just remember what sourland said they will be very protective of their goslings and will not tolerate many around them. It's just their natural instinct.

True story to follow - When I brought my 'city girl' fiancé to meet my family (never let her meet them until we were engaged
lol.png
) she was fearful of dogs. She was standing outside the pen containing my beagles when I decided that she should 'voluntarily' get to meet them more intimately; therefore, I approached Gus the Goose and grabbed one of his newly hatched goslings. I then ran in her direction with Gus in hot pursuit. Seeking the lesser of 2 evils she jumped in with the dogs. The gosling ran back to his dad, and she still married me 50 years ago this coming month.
lau.gif
Gus by the way was a human imprinted gander who adopted half a dozen goslings at about 3 years old and later selected one of the geese as his mate.

True story to follow - When I brought my 'city girl' fiancé to meet my family (never let her meet them until we were engaged
lol.png
) she was fearful of dogs. She was standing outside the pen containing my beagles when I decided that she should 'voluntarily' get to meet them more intimately; therefore, I approached Gus the Goose and grabbed one of his newly hatched goslings. I then ran in her direction with Gus in hot pursuit. Seeking the lesser of 2 evils she jumped in with the dogs. The gosling ran back to his dad, and she still married me 50 years ago this coming month.
lau.gif
Gus by the way was a human imprinted gander who adopted half a dozen goslings at about 3 years old and later selected one of the geese as his mate.
How sly was that, and funny, would have loved to have seen a video lol.. and she must have forgiven you to have put up with you almost 50yrs.
wink.png
. Congratulations
thumbsup.gif

Quote: Haha thats a funny story
gig.gif
I had no idea that the gander helped parent the goslings. I was planning to sell the goslings if they hatched. I put a limit on the amount of animals I can keep on just the 2 acres that we live on. Considering we have chickens, ducks, rabbits, goats,guineas, geese and a peacock; I dont think I can fit nine more geese. I do want the geese to have the opportunity to raise them though. It would be nice to see the whole family of geese walking around the yard. At what age would it be best to separate the goslings from their parents? I could sell them as day olds, but I don't want to rob the geese of the experience of rearing the goslings....

Haha thats a funny story
gig.gif
I had no idea that the gander helped parent the goslings. I was planning to sell the goslings if they hatched. I put a limit on the amount of animals I can keep on just the 2 acres that we live on. Considering we have chickens, ducks, rabbits, goats,guineas, geese and a peacock; I dont think I can fit nine more geese. I do want the geese to have the opportunity to raise them though. It would be nice to see the whole family of geese walking around the yard. At what age would it be best to separate the goslings from their parents? I could sell them as day olds, but I don't want to rob the geese of the experience of rearing the goslings....
Please let them have them for a while. They are so precious all together. But what age to take them I don't know since I haven't had that privilege yet of having goslings.
Look forward to seeing yours though.

Haha thats a funny story
gig.gif
IF they hatch and survive,(first-timers, after all), it would be up to you at what age to sell them. I got my first ones a few years ago when they were just 2 days old, but my geese are devoted parents and care for them for up about 6 months or more, although they´re getting some good amount of feathering by 3 months of age, so they´d be fine to go at this age if you wanted...
I personally could never let anyone have any of them at just a few days, as they need a lot of care and can be hard work without the parents. They also need goose company, so I don´t sell single geese unless someone already has them.
Watching them with their parents is so rewarding.

Back
Top Bottom