Broody hen abandoning chicks

Ash.M

Songster
6 Years
Mar 17, 2018
We have 3 chicks that are around 5 weeks old that our broody hen has been raising. Today she laid an egg and doesn't want to be in the coop with the chicks anymore (she threw a fit when we tried to put her back this morning). We are concerned because it is quite chilly out here (30 degrees Fahrenheit). Will the chicks be ok without her? We have a heat mat they can sit on. Any advice? We are total newbies to the chicken world. Thanks!

Mamma hens usually lose interest in their babies when they are between 5 and 6 weeks old, so this is normal (it's kind of like she's "weaning" the babies).
If the chicks are fully feathered, they should be alright without heat, but definitely monitor--if they're shivering or showing signs of distress/discomfort, then you can give them supplemental heat (a heat mat or lamp). Good luck with your chicks! :)

Mamma hens usually lose interest in their babies when they are between 5 and 6 weeks old, so this is normal (it's kind of like she's "weaning" the babies).
If the chicks are fully feathered, they should be alright without heat, but definitely monitor--if they're shivering or showing signs of distress/discomfort, then you can give them supplemental heat (a heat mat or lamp). Good luck with your chicks! :)
I agree. They will do great as long as there fully feathered. Keep an eye on them and if you have any more questions just let us know. Also try to keep the wind, rain, snow, and ice off of them. Tarp, trash bag, silt fence fabric all work great. And keep fresh clean water. Good luck and keep us updated:thumbsup

Thanks so much for all of the advice. They aren't quite fully feathered (at least one is still patchy), but hopefully they will be ok. When can we try to reintroduce them to the other hen? The one other hen we have (who is not broody) attacked and killed a brand new baby chick when we first got them.

Are they in a see no touch area? U need that first and then when they are big enough to defend themselves after weeks of see no touch intros can happen

Are they in a see no touch area? U need that first and then when they are big enough to defend themselves after weeks of see no touch intros can happen
Yes they have been in a see no touch indoor area for about 4 weeks. I'm assuming we should do the same for an outdoor area?

A similar size in my experience I played it cautious my first integration video is linked in my signature I have another chick that was a rescue that integrated at around 2 months but she is smart, quick and my birds are nice sounds like you have a mean bird so you might want to wait till they are closer in size

A similar size in my experience I played it cautious my first integration video is linked in my signature I have another chick that was a rescue that integrated at around 2 months but she is smart, quick and my birds are nice sounds like you have a mean bird so you might want to wait till they are closer in size
Thanks! We will probably be cautious to avoid any more heartache!

I personally feel it's easier to integrate them while they're young, so they grow up as part of the flock. Provide plenty of obstacles for the little ones to hide and that should help protectthem from adults. Anything that the chicks can get on top of, behind, or under will do. Ideally you want to place any obstacles in such a way that there's no closed off corners. This is how I have my run set up right now, the items against a wall all have an extra exit cut out so the young ones can't get cornered:

obstacles.jpg

Extra feeders and waterers are also a good idea!

Back
Top Bottom