Broody hen acting strange

lmadeline146

Songster
Jun 6, 2022
I have a hen that’s been broody for a few weeks now, but I’ve just been taking the eggs daily since I don’t want her hatching any chicks. About 10 mins after I took her eggs today, she went out in the run and started digging holes and clucking. All the other hens had went inside to roost, but she came out clucking and it seemed like she was digging frantically. I’m curious, why was she doing this after I took her eggs?

They spend so much time inside they're a little crazy once they get outside... it's the hormones. My broody did the very same thing the other day and she had fresh green grass clippings that she covered up with her obsessive digging??? It's like they have to get all the activities done in fast motion since it's such a short time outside. :wee :eek::ya

They spend so much time inside they're a little crazy once they get outside... it's the hormones. My broody did the very same thing the other day and she had fresh green grass clippings that she covered up with her obsessive digging??? It's like they have to get all the activities done in fast motion since it's such a short time outside. :wee :eek::ya
Haha that makes more sense! I hope she realizes she’s not going to be hatching eggs anytime soon :celebrate

No they're so hormonal they stay pretty dedicated for a few weeks I just kick mine outside when there's some good stuff so she can eat and drink. I sometimes wonder if they're working up a poo kind of like dogs smelling other poo?

Back
Top Bottom