Broody hen - Nest too high?

10AcreChick

Songster
7 Years
Sep 6, 2015
Central Missouri
So one of my Wyandottes, despite my best efforts, has decided it's time to hatch some eggs. However, I no longer have a set up for a separate place for her and so just let her stay in a nesting box. She has 7 eggs and they are set to hatch in two weeks. But the nests in my coop are about 30 inches off the ground - should I be concerned for the chicks' safety once they hatch? Or will she keep them there until all r hatched? I would prefer not to mess with her unless absolutely necessary (she abandoned last time I did that to her), but dont want them to fall to their deaths! The ground is six inches of straw.

What should I do? Anything? Of course, I realize that once hatched, I should move them and mom all to a corner on the floor, as otherwise they can't get to food. But should I just see what happens for the first 48 hrs or so while they r hatching?

I'm thinking i should at least take out the partition between her nest and the next to allow for more movement??

I think it's fine to leave her there, as long as you check often while they're hatching and rescue anyone who tumbles. I haven't hatched chicks before, but I had a broody try unsuccessfully last year. My experience was that when I tried to move her and the eggs to a floor nest, she went back to the empty nest instead of where the eggs were, multiple times. It's also possible that my messing with her contributed to our hatching fail.

I have a broody hutch that is high off the ground, about 30 to 36 inches. It is about 5 feet long, and 2 feet wide. I have nests on both ends with roost area in the middle.

I do have enough room then to partition the hen with the eggs to one side, add a small container of food and water. Sometimes I use it. Sometimes I do not. Some hens are very savvy at keeping all chicks up in that nest. Others not.

I do keep a dog crate underneath the hutch for mommas that like to take the babies down after they hatch. I have had a *few* figure out the long ramp and get all chicks up nightly. However, I never know which hatch will be successful that way so I either lock the mom and chicks into the partition until the chicks are about a week old and able to follow well, or I put them down below in the dog crate right after hatch.

So I didn't give you a clear answer as I've had a tall nest work wonderfully well. I've also had plenty of chick failures too. Those who did tumble out of the nest above to get trampled by the small flock of broodies below or simply succumb to the cold.

My best guess answer? Create a nest area with partition that is large enough for a small container of food and water (that can't be tipped over) and lock momma in the last 4 days or so before chicks hatch. Once chicks start hatching, absolutely, the best is to keep momma in locked partition. Once the last chick hatches, or no more than 2 days after the first, decide where you want the chicks. Since I tired of losing babies periodically, I now assume possible failure and lock for a week or move below.

LofMc

Thanks, everyone! She is still at it, seems dedicated. I think I will be able to cage in a small area before and during hatch under the nesting boxes that will still have access to the water nipples and room for food. Hopefully she and babies don't get too cold on the floor!

Back
Top Bottom