Broody Hen on eggs and one egg broke and made mess on other eggs

motherhen68

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 18, 2014
I have a question and need help!!!!!!!!!!!!, this is the first time hatching eggs and I'm doing it with one of my Broody Australorps, she has been sitting on 9 eggs for 8 days, I candled them on day seven and 1 was iffy if it was viable but I left it being unsure of myself. Sometime time when I was at work this evening I came home to discover only 8 eggs and the other eggs had egg yolk drying on them with feathers stuck to some of them, it looks like she probably tried eating up the bad egg cause I only found part of the shell in her nest and the other eggs sitting in hay and egg white debris starting to dry on them, I did clean them off the best I could with a bearly moist washcloth with a few drops of water on it in the middle of the washcloth, trying to rub gently the dried crusted egg debris and feathers off the other eggs while keeping the air sack end tilted up and drying them with the washcloth part that wasn't damp! Are these other eggs done for, what would have been the best way to handle this situation so I'll know if I did alright or are these eggs probably done for?

That's what I would have done. Usually they will eat a broken egg or a "quitter." I'd rather take a chance on disturbing things by cleaning up the nest than on letting that stuff rot and expose the other eggs to contamination. I've had a couple of successful hatches where an egg got broken during setting. Maybe it will all come out fine. I sure woulddn't give up!

Good luck!

images

Judy has given you good advice. Don't give up yet!! Just let things be and keep us posted!

Oh, and welcome to BYC!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X3, that happens sometimes with broodys, the other eggs still have a good chance at hatching. Just keep a close eye on them and consider candling them again to check for other quitters if your hen tends to break/eat them.

That's what I would have done. Usually they will eat a broken egg or a "quitter." I'd rather take a chance on disturbing things by cleaning up the nest than on letting that stuff rot and expose the other eggs to contamination. I've had a couple of successful hatches where an egg got broken during setting. Maybe it will all come out fine. I sure woulddn't give up!

Good luck!

I agree with Judy. Is the nest set up so that no other hens can gain access? Others may be trying to lay in the nest resulting in fighting with the broody hen.

I agree with Judy, I was with my chickens when one of my hens tried to push an egg back in position and it heard it break. sure enough it poked a hole in the side. I've also had eggs broken and eaten. This does happen.

Back
Top Bottom