Broody Hen Thread!

Oh I cant wait to see what happens next,:caf didnt you used to check in on the "Hatching with 2 broodys" thread? That was fun to follow along. With 2 broodies you have double the fun and sometimes you just want to tear your hair out:he

I didn't even know there was a thread for that. I'll have to check it out. It is my first time having two broodies at the same time. Today they are both sitting outside the dishpan but no eggs are in the dishpan so I guess they have been moved. I don't know what they have against it but they are in pine shavings either way. It is funny thinking of them moving eggs around.

This is my neighbor's hen sitting on 11 of my duck eggs! Has anyone hatched duck eggs under a hen? Do I need to moisten the eggs since she doesn't take a bath like a duck does?

Last edited:
Good morning all
1f600.png
. Sitting here with my coffee, watching the blue jays and robins, and feeling so blessed and greatful. It's a wonderful day to be alive !
1f604.png

Ya know how your mind can sort of wander? Well in my wandering, I got to thinking about chickens and several of you have mentioned hens moving their eggs to a different location. How in the world does a hen move an egg to a different nest? Or am I missing something
1f609.png
?

Just popping in for some advice, I have not been around BYC for a while. Most of my hens are old or middle age (4 to 9), and I am going to increase the flock this year. I have done many ways in the past, but this year want to try something new. I put an old covered cat litter box on the floor of the hen house at straw level with a dozen golf balls in it. Waiting for my first acceptable personality broody of the spring. The girls have been laying in the box. I plan to buy local some fertile eggs once I get the broody and let her sit and hatch in the hen house. Then just let her mother the chicks in with the flock. I know there is some risk, but very little investment of time or money on my part. Has anyone experience with this old fashioned way?

Zen,

Once you get one broody (some are prone, some will never). it is a time proven method with a high success rate probability.
Of course it all depends on how good a mother the hen is. Most have no issues.
Have any of your hens gone broody ever?
What breeds do you have?

Last edited:
Good morning all
1f600.png
. Sitting here with my coffee, watching the blue jays and robins, and feeling so blessed and greatful. It's a wonderful day to be alive !
1f604.png

Ya know how your mind can sort of wander? Well in my wandering, I got to thinking about chickens and several of you have mentioned hens moving their eggs to a different location. How in the world does a hen move an egg to a different nest? Or am I missing something
1f609.png
?

I have wondered the same

Good morning all
1f600.png
1f604.png

1f609.png
?

I have wondered the same

My wandering mind is remembering a relay game where you hold a grapefruit under your chin and pass it to the next person and so on. Picturing hens doing that
1f633.png

I have broodies on and off all summer long and have hatched with mom and chicks in a separate pen until the chicks are a few weeks old. I have many different brown egg laying and duel breeds, and a bunch of mutts from my own hatchings. I am not worried about getting a broody eventually, though I will wait for one with a good personality, there are a couple that are mean and I would not set with them. I am most concerned with how the chicks will do young in the flock. They have quite a lot of area, including a small orchard to forage in.

Back
Top Bottom