Broody Hen Will NOT Drink In Hot Weather

Arya28

Songster
Apr 9, 2017
Pennsylvania
We have a broody sex link currently hatching out guinea keets. There is a full waterer full of electrolyte water right in front of her that she and the keets have access to. She will not drink.

We hold the waterer up to her beak, she still won't drink it.

So, we got a dropper and filled that with water, and squirted it in her beak and into her throat. Obviously we can get a little water in this way but since she isn't cooperating it's stressing her out, and she's still not getting enough water.

Her face and comb are pretty pale and she is panting. Yesterday the same thing happened, (she was drinking yesterday) so I went in to give her water and for a split second her eyes rolled back and closed and then her head fell. So we took her off the eggs and hatchlings, spread cool water under her wings, and made her drink.

Thing is, she is NOT drinking right now and it is HOT!! I am really worried about her. Is there anything else we could do to keep her hydrated?

This might sound stupid, but would giving her watermelon keep her hydrated?

You can try to the watermelon, but it sounds like she is very stressed with your attempt to hydrate her. If the watermelon is not an enticement, then leave it where she can get to it along with the water.
How much longer does she have before the quail hatch?

Be very careful squirting water into her beak, you risk her aspirating liquids into her lungs and air sacs.

Cooling a broody, may just break her, but if you have a way to place a fan near where she is nesting, you may be able to circulate some air for her. Don't blow the air directly on her.

Ok so she is hatching guineas, and they are in the process of hatching. Last we checked, after all the other chickens went to roost 4 of the 6 guineas were hatched. She will definitely NOT be broken, lol. If we take her off them all she does is try to get back on them and growl a little. She is very nice though, she doesn't peck us or anything at all. She is a super sweet girl.

We have decided we don't know if dehydration is her whole problem... it seems like her symptoms could be more in line with something like anemia. So we gave her nutri drench, but we are keeping up with the electrolyte water. We scrambled here some egg we are going to see if she will eat and go from there. We are pretty worried about her but we are doing everything we can.

She just gets so pale. And then as soon as she stands up or moves at all her face and comb are all the way red again. So we were thinking maybe it has something to do with blood pressure. We aren't entirely sure.

Oh, Please, chickens don't become dehydrated like horses and humans do mainly because chickens are completely unable to sweat or perspire, even to lower their body temperature so your efforts are useless-X3. If she is currently hatching then she is in a trance and she is focused on the next generation meaning she has bigger fish to fry than be worried about watermelons.

Hens cool themselves by panting, and to a lesser degree by laying in shady areas where they have disturbed the dirt. This latter thing I do know something about because when I hoed cotton back in the day I would use my hoe to scrape off the top layer of the furrow when I stopped to wipe the sweat out of my eyes so that there would be a small bit of cool ground exposed for my bare feet to rest on while I was immobile.

Also no mention was made in the opening post about the temperature in the nest in question, nor is any mention made of the fact that the normal everyday internal body temperature of a hen is in the neighborhood of 105 Degrees Fahrenheit.

Oh, Please, chickens don't become dehydrated like horses and humans do mainly because chickens are completely unable to sweat or perspire, even to lower their body temperature so your efforts are useless-X3. If she is currently hatching then she is in a trance and she is focused on the next generation meaning she has bigger fish to fry than be worried about watermelons.

Hens cool themselves by panting, and to a lesser degree by laying in shady areas where they have disturbed the dirt. This latter thing I do know something about because when I hoed cotton back in the day I would use my hoe to scrape off the top layer of the furrow when I stopped to wipe the sweat out of my eyes so that there would be a small bit of cool ground exposed for my bare feet to rest on while I was immobile.

Also no mention was made in the opening post about the temperature in the nest in question, nor is any mention made of the fact that the normal everyday internal body temperature of a hen is in the neighborhood of 105 Degrees Fahrenheit.

Wow, you sound like you know a lot. I'd like to know more please.

I might not have gone on for 45 minutes about the internal body temperature of a hen, but I am pretty sure their faces AND combs AND waddles aren't supposed to be white. Just BTDubs.

I've had broodies hatch before too, btw.

But really, I'm anxious to know more. You seem like you are trying to be very helpful. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom