Broody Hen

nat2009

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 10, 2007
Can anyone give me the 411 on broody hens? Because i think mine might be broody.

A hen that is going broody will be spending a great deal of time on her eggs, and that time will gradually increase to full-time. Even sweet hens will start showing personality changes, ruffling and puffing up their feathers when you come near. They also start making funny noises at you that some people describe as a growl. You'll know it when you hear it! Some biddies will also chase all the other hens out of her area - most prefer to be on their own during nesting. In the last week or so before the first pip, many hens will not get off the nest at all, either for eating or pooping. When my biddy finally had her last chick fluffed out and got off the nest, she made a poop of such collossal size I couldn't believe it!

I have a question as far as one of my hens she is laying she is about 5 eggs in her nest now but also she has 2 bantam eggs in there will she sit on them too?

Quote:
Thanks !! Do you thinkI should seperste her from te other hens? This Morning I went out to get the eggs and she was just sitting thete and she had a glazed look on her face. I poked her because i heard if they are broody the will peck you and she just sat there so I don't know i guess i'll just have to see what happens!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I think she'll sit on them. just make sure she has room for all them under her and none of them get too cold.

GreenValley - Your broody will happily sit on any eggs. I've heard stories of determined hens sitting on anything vaguely round, like stones!
nat2009 - How long has your hen been sitting? Is she actually sitting on some eggs? If she isn't actually on some eggs, then something else may be going on (since you mention a glazed look). Either way, I would separate her and her eggs. Keep us posted!

Ya there are definately eggs under her and read somewhere that they sometimes get a glazed look when they go broody. I am no expert though!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom